Friday, July 28, 2017

Heat Miser Couldn't Spoil Three Days Of Chapter Meeting Fun


This past weekend I attended my second Tennessee Sierra Club Chapter Meeting, the Summer edition, at Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park. I didn't do a Day Blog on Sunday because I was hot and tired. Why, for those who don't know this state park is located in West Tennessee (the Chickasaw Group was the host), but it is actually closer to Nashville than Memphis, but still over a five-hour drive.


The theme of the weekend was hot, I mean really Caliente! There was no doubt that we were in the evil grip of Heat Miser. On the drive down the mercury hit 100 and stayed in triple digits and it was no better at the state park. Thank goodness the main hall and bunkhouses were all air conditioned (AC), so I didn't need to use my DIY AC ( more on this later) or tent camp. I will say that the sleeping set up was nicer than at Pickett CCC Memorial State Park as the showers were in the same building as the bunkhouse. While both parks had bunk beds the ones at Nathan Bedford Forrest, were wood and nicer, plus the mattress was better than Pickett's. Let me just add that Friday evening was hot.










On Saturday, after breakfast, it was time for a nature hike with Randy Hedgepath. Ranger Randy, as we call him, is the State Naturalist and it was a pleasure to experience a nature hike with him as he knows his stuff. With over 30 years of expertise, that is to be expected. The Tennessee Chapter of the Sierra Club did a cool thing and honored him after our hike.





Speaking of the hike, while fun, you can guess it was hot...The South Pole of the Sun hot. I mean it was very uncomfortable at 6 am and went downhill from there. By the time we finished it was around triple digits with high humidity. This was possibly the hottest hike I have ever done (I know I never sweated that much). Luckily the hike was mostly on flat ground except for a 200-foot climb up a ridge. But it was still some hot hiking.

















On our return, first was the ceremony for Ranger Randy and then a couple of meetings including a presentation on Electric Vehicles (EV). This was really informative and I learned a few things about them I didn't know and some things that were wrong. We also got to take a ride in Joe's Tesla Model S. I had looked over it at the Spring Chapter Meeting, but getting to ride in it was really cool. One thing the myth that EV's hasn't got the get up and go is just wrong...it is like a rocket ship.






In between, I got to enjoy Kentucky Lake and after this, it was time for some really good Lazana for dinner. Instead of a bonfire (it was just too damn hot) we had a flash auction, some dance lessons from Emma and then musical entertainment from the duo of Antoinette Olesen and Buddy. I also got to try some Johnson County Moonshine provided by Dean...wow!







While some went on a Guided Historical hike in Johnsonville, I got had to attend the Executive Committee Meeting (Ex-Com). I was there for Care-Net, a sub-group from Hawkins and surrounding counties. The meeting lasted just shy of four-and-half hours and fun was had by all.




As for the trip home...hot and there were some wrecks which mean it took over seven hours (closer to eight to get back). Once again it was a great three days that even Heat Miser couldn't ruin. I meet up with old friends and made some new ones and I look forward to the fall meeting in October.


No comments:

Post a Comment