Friday, May 5, 2017

Closing This Chapter On Three Spring Days In The Shadow Of The Big South Fork


It is easy to see by this blog that I love the outdoors and the wilderness. It is one of the reasons I joined the Sierra Club. Also evident by this blog, I have gone on some great hikes with the Harvey Brooms Group (HBG), but I wanted to take the next step with my involvement, so I headed to Pickett CCC Memorial State Park for the spring Chapter Meeting of the Tennessee Sierra Club. I had thought of going before, but I decided no better time than the present. But, since I was driving myself I almost canceled, because it was a long drive for my old car, the Green Hornet (three hours). So, Dad and Terry (big thanks!) let me borrow the Toyota. So, I packed up Pete and I and we hit the road. Because this was a three-day trip I am going to divide it by the days.


Day One: The Drive Over The Road & Through The Big South Fork
Let me just say it is a long drive to Pickett CCM State Park and the first half is not fun as it took me up I-81, I-40, I-640 and I-75, that is a lot of Interstate driving.



The drive got better once I exited I-75 and headed toward Big South Fork National River Recreation Area (NRRA). I was excited about going through it as I missed an opportunity back at the start of April when I got sick and couldn't make the HBG Backpack there. I first stopped at the Scott County Visitor Center and picked up a map so I could plan a stop or two.




The first place I went was to the East Rim Overlook. While it wasn't a very long hike from the main parking area, it sure ended with a great view and all I did was "drink it, man, drink it in." Next, it was onto the main visitor...Bandy Creek. While it isn't as large as Sugarlands or even Cumberland Gap it was nice and what I would describe as quaint. There is also a museum, but I think it was closed. I didn't go to Leatherwood Ford, I decided to save it for the trip back.









Once out of the park it was not too far (about five miles as the crow flies) to Pickett CCCM State Park. The state park is a memorial to the legacy of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) with a museum and other monuments. It is obvious these days if not for the CCC we wouldn't have great state parks like Pickett's. While I had gotten direction to where the Chapter Meeting was taking place, the Group Camp, I still stopped at the visitor center. I made sure of my directions and I collected some free stuff. Once at the Group Camp area I first settled in the men's dorm.












I decided to dive Jamestown to pick up dinner, and afterward, I sat down with the group from Hawkins and Grainger Counties. I already knew some of them from the Hawkins County Democratic meeting last month (they also carded me because the didn't believe I was almost a half-century old) Since the skies cleared, a group of us headed out for some stargazing.


Day Two: Hiking in Pouge Creek, The Twin Arches & A Nice Bonfire
After an unrestful sleep and a good breakfast, we started the day the right way hiking. The morning hike was a spot I had heard some great things about...Pouge Creek Canyon. There are two different ways into Pouge Creek Canyon, the first is the main trailhead off TN-154. However, we started from the secondary trailhead off gravel Black House Mountain Road. On this day the outing was headed up by Mac and The Hike Leader, so you know we were in good hands.




The hike started on an old roadbed. One of the cool things was I spotted my first Mountain Laurel of the wildflower season (that is a good two weeks ahead of last year). Eventually, we passed two trail junctions and went right at both.








At the second we came to a set of stairs, which were not too far from being a ladder, but climbing it were more than as the outcrop at the end of the trail provided a stunning view of Pouge Creek Canyon. I will say it was as beautiful as described. On the way back I found another outcrop, but I only quickly enjoyed it as I was admonished by the "Junior" Hike Leader on the trip.






Once back at the junction we followed the trail down and to some majestic canyon walls. These were amazing, once again, better than described. Besides the cliffs, arches, and veins of iron ore, the trail here is fantastic! The last part of the hike was a surprisingly steep uphill grade before we made it back to the first junction and then trailhead. It was an excellent hike and well led.



















After lunch, a group of us took a stroll to the park's new archeological museum. It is in the old Ranger's residence and while small now Park Ranger Travis said there are plans to expand, including have archeologist I site working on artifacts.





So, it was time for the afternoon hike, this one was in the Big South Fork NRRA, to the Twin Arches. When I researched the Big South Fork for my aborted backpack this was a place that came up, which means I was looking forward to visiting them. Our group was half the size of the morning crew, but we had the same leaders they just switched roles (One at the front (Mac) and one sweeping (the Hike Leader). The drive out was longer and the gravel road was rougher, but the trailhead was nicer. There was one thing here that left me scratching my head, the vault toilets were men's and women's. If you have ever used a vault toilet then you know that it is just a plastic throne over a hike. Most of these I have ever seen were unisex, but these we're not...strange.




Anyway, while not the longest hike it did have a lot of stairs. It wasn't long before I found out why this trail has more bang for the buck! The Twin Arches are amazing I mean just impressive. These are one of those things you have to see to appreciate because my photos can't do them justice. They were just as impressive as the Arch of Triumphe (that is my photo from 2010). Oh, we even got to hike over top of them. All I can say about this hike is it is "just too sweet" Twin Arches four-life!






















When we got back I got to help document our own little Climate Match, which was pretty cool (there were a lot of great signs). After an excellent dinner, we had a silent auction for the Sierra Club and I never win anything...until now as I took home a food saver...nice!








Then I got my first tour of Tesla Electric Car. Let me just say that the video screen on it was ridiculous! We then ended the evening the perfect way with a bonfire.


Day Three: Chapter Executive Meeting & The Long Road Home 
I will say I slept better on day two and I was greeted by maybe the best meal of the weekend, the Sunday breakfast (all the meals were excellent by the way). I had thought about going on a hike, but at the Bonfire on Saturday, Bobbi from the Hawkins & Grainger County Sub-Group approached me to represent our small group on the Executive Committee. As of writing this I still don't know what my duties are, except that I will be attending future chapter meetings. So, because of this, I stayed for the Executive Committee Meeting. It was informative and I got a nice packet, but did I detect that old east/west divide that hovers over Tennessee politics...maybe? What was funny is we got run out of the dining hall by a Bridal Shower, but we finished the meeting outside, with one eye on the sky. I didn't know at the time that there was a Tornado Watch for the area, just about the time we finished up.




The drive back was long, I mean long! I made one stop at Leatherwood Ford, then for gas and finally for dinner at KnoxBurger (more later). Oh, and I had to stop for my free donut. Overall, I have to say that it was a great weekend and I would like to thank Gloria and the Watauga Chapter for hosting such a nice gathering. I would also like to throw out a special shout-out to those who encouraged my attending... big thanks!  







4 comments:

  1. Dang, Russ you nailed all three days perfectly. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice work Russ! Joe O (Tesla)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Russ for a great write-up.
    ... Hope y'all don't mind this advert/promotion- but we have another great retreat and meeting coming up for the weekend of July 21-23. The Chickasaw Group is hosting, and we will be at Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park (sorry about the name!) in Eva, TN. We will have multiple hikes, and we will have great music entertainment Saturday night. For those interested and/or curious about electric cars, there's a good chance we will have a presentation and some test drives of various models on Saturday (details are being worked out). Check out the Tennes-Sierran and the website www.SierraClub.org/tennessee/chickasaw (it's not there yet!) Hope y'all come! Dennis Lynch ChickasawSierra@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures. Glad you enjoyed the weekend and will be returning.

    ReplyDelete