Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Back In The Day Hike At Squibb Creek Falls


With my recent hike to Buzzard Rock from Horse Creek Recreation Area it had me looking back on a previous outing, I had from the same trailhead to Squibb Creek Falls.


This hike was in November of 2013 and actually pre-dates the active portion of this blog and got me thinking about doing entries on day hikes I have yet to cover here. So, this is going to be the first installment of what I am calling Back in the Day Hikes.


Anyway, the hike to Squibb Creek Falls starts at the same spot as my one Thursday as they share the same trailhead for the first seven-tenths-of-a-mile. Once past the junctions for Turkey Pen Cove and Middle Springs Ridge Trails the Squibb Creek Trail continues straight.

















One of the things on the way you notice is the number of creek crossings which to this point was five. Well, nothing changes as that is the main feature of this trail as it features 11 more creek crossings, for a one-way total of 16. On this day Glen and I were hiking the Squibb Creek Trail it was a cold day I mean just below freezing cold. This might not have been the best idea fording so many creeks as anytime we kicked water on the rocks we were hopping it froze on them. Let just say this time of year might not be the best time to hike this, but only Charlie got wet.








While uphill the Squibb Creek Trail is not steep like the two paths that split from it, which was nice. Another thing about this trail is there are a lot of nice lovely smaller cascades and a large plunge pool before finally arriving at Squibb Creek Falls as the trail ends here.









This is an excellent 25-foot waterfall the flows down then hooks. I have to agree with Johnny Molloy that with the length of the hike (4.4 miles round-trip) and the beauty of the falls that it might be more popular.








Anyway, the trip back was a lot like the one in. The main thing was trying not to fall into the creek with the freezing temperatures. Overall, this is an excellent hike and I can't believe I hadn't been back since 2013. I think I might have to do a waterfall ramble with this and Pete Branch Falls...soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment