Friday, September 6, 2019

Three Days In a New Part Of The Wood Booger's Backyard...Rocky Fork


My Sierra Club Backpack over Labor Weekend at Rocky Fork State Park was different for three reasons. First, it was two nights out, second our usual leader Will Skelton and three I stepped in as official leader.
However, I had help as John Beaudet was our guide into the backwoods of Tennessee's wildest state park. Like last year's Rocky Fork backpack (yes I haven't done one on it yet soon). Like last year's hike and most hikes in Rocky Fork, this one started from the main parking area. This where I met up with John, who lives about 10 minutes away, and the rest of the group from Knoxville. 






Again, like last year the hike started on the Rocky Fork Trail past the Whitehouse Cliffs Trail before the trails end at the junction where we followed the White Oak Flats Trail. At 1.3 miles we reached the trails end and a junction. Last year we went right on the Britchfield Camp Trail, but this time we instead took the Headwaters Trail. 











Not long after getting on the Headwaters Trail we stopped for lunch at the new dedicated campsite in the state park...one of the first. It was nice, John helped build it, the site includes a fire ring, tent pad and one day a privy. It was about now that the trail started uphill. It was a steady climb past the Blockstand Creek Trail where the path exited the state park and entered the Cherokee National Forest (where it is free to camp without reservations). The scenery was just as beautiful as we headed up. On the way, we gathered some chanterelle mushrooms, crossed our water source and all near where we would camp. 












It turned out it was a real primitive campsite as we all searched for a flat place to set up. My first spot looked good until someone noticed the deadfall above me. My next attempt ended up atop nesting ants, so I ended up on the road. Once I got set up it was getting water and making dinner. Oh, Lenny had this new kind of meal, Omeals, that required no stove.






The next day, which happened to be the first day of Meteorological Fall, was day hiking day. We were going to Buzzard Roost or Rock I have heard it called both. When I did blogs on my previous hike to here (one & two) I called it Buzzard Roost, but it seems that Buzzard Rock is the more prevalent name so that is what I will refer to it from now on. Our hike was the rest of the way up the Headwaters Trail then left on the High Country Trail. Eventually, after 0.7 miles uphill the trail curves left as the Middle Springs Ridge Trail comes in from the right. 







This part of the hike I have done before back in March of 2017. So, I knew we were there when we turned and saw the big tree. Buzzard Rock has an incredible vista plus an overview of the Rocky Fork area. 









After a break, it was on up to the AT (Appalachian Trail). I had planned to do this part two years ago but tapped out. Anyway, it took us through a Heath bald called Ball Ground. On the way we saw a lot of bear tracks, the most I have seen. It wasn't long before we came to the meadow below Big Butt where the AT crosses. 










It was from here I did a little leading. Since it is less than a mile to the large open meadow on Coldsprings Mountain and because of weather I didn't go there on the Jerry's Cabin backpack I led the group out there. We first made a stop at Big Butt, made "the turn" past the Howard Bassette monument before reaching Commandment Rock. You know you're there when reaching the Sarris Cove Trail sign. I just love this meadow, I am going to camp here one day soon!
















On the hike back we decided to take the road that intersects the trail. I hadn't done this before and it did offer views down into the valley. After this, the trail was downhill to the campsite.










Once at camp we gathered rocks and put together a fire ring and gathered wood. I got the task to build and maintain the fire which I didn't mind. It allowed me to test a new firestarter. I also teated a new meal, a dehydrated vegetable soup I get at Yoder's. It is cheap and I just added beef I dried. It turned out a great, cheaper alternative to the backpacking meals.







The final day was the hike out. We made sure to take down the fire pit (Leave No Trace) and head out. We saw more bear tracks and a place not far from us where someone camped (had to get rid of their fire pit too), I hope that weren't scared by the Wood Booger we heard that night.













When we got back to the trailhead park there was a table set up and a game of guess the animal skins and I didn't do half bad. Overall, no one got hurt (so I didn't have to fill out paperwork), it was a great three days with great people. Oh, a big shout out to John.





No comments:

Post a Comment