Saturday, April 18, 2020

What A Relief To Escape Troubled Times Hiking At The Cabin


Well, it is good when sometimes turns out to be sooner than later. I refer to my blog last week about COVID-19 and I am pleased to report (and if you saw Pete's Blog you will know this) that I got to hike as part of a trip to the Cabin in Southwest Virginia.




Grass waits for no man, so Dad and I headed over because I had already mowed twice here at St. Clair. It would be a different trip over as there were no stops for coffee or chicken. Anyway, the mission when we got over there was to get a mower started, which isn't always easy after six months, but we did. Oh, because of the Spring build it was even harder to mow than before. Speaking of the Spring, we had to work on it on Saturday afternoon. I would like to report we finished, but...



Well, let's get to why I needed to go over because I need to hike and get out! On, Friday I didn't expect to hike, but I got to do an impromptu trek up to Wood Booger Ridge. The reason was the power went out and it was that way for a half-hour. Because of the power being out the house phone doesn't work, which means I had to hike over half-mile up the ridge. The reason I get a mobile phone signal, so I can call Appalachian Power, which I did. Even though I was tired (and had just eaten) it was really nice just to get out.







So, with great anticipation, I got up early to head out. I started by returning to Wood Booger Ridge in search of morel mushrooms. The place where I found so last year, because of a late search, the turkeys found them first. I did find a small one in the middle of the three old roads at the gate, but two big ones near the barn at the Cabin. I also found wildflowers (more about that later).












I then headed down what I call the Cowhead Trail, for obvious reasons. Then it was out to the second barn and then back up. I then continued up the Cabin Trail. Then I headed up to Russell and Robert Knobs. I will admit with all the uphill I was feeling it. So, I had to decide if I was going to head up to Pete's Knob. Well, I wouldn't have heard the end of it from Pete, so we headed up. While it was tougher than normal I couldn't have done it without Pete.














Then it was down and back to the Cabin. I ended the evening with a nice fire, for a short time it was good to have a break from everything that has been going on.










1 comment:

  1. I can't find morels to save my life! Glad you got a couple:)

    ReplyDelete