Friday, April 3, 2020

A Wood Booger View On The Coronavirus


I have debated with myself, back and forth on doing a blog on what is going on in the world with the Coronavirus crisis.
I don't really know what I am going to say, what can I say but I am going to try. Since this Tales From The Wood Booger, there will be a hiking bent to this blog. However, there might be something in this one that might piss...well tough it is my blog after all. I remember when I first read about this in December I was worried that this would probably reach our shores and we would be way underprepared, and we were. Trump said we were prepared, but at the same press conference on March 10, he also said "And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away." Even a month later there are people and states that still don't think it is that serious even though we have the most case in the world (as of writing 276,849) and soon the most deaths (7,3371).

I was getting concerned about COVID-19 when I went to Rich Mtn. in February.

Besides following what has been going on in the world (not just the USA) I have been keeping track of what has been going on with the hiker community. As anyone he keeps up with this blog knows this is the hikers descend on Georgia for the start of Appalachian Trail (AT)  Thru-Hiker season. Well, even with the coronavirus threat growing thru-hiking season still started as a good number have started in February. 

Where AT dreams start.

Thru-hikers two years ago at Newfound Gap.

However, when most were about to start is when this crisis started to explode. I did an AT Section Hike on Monday, March 9th because I had a feeling that it might get harder to do one soon, but I had no idea how quick. Two days later I sat here when an NBA Players, Rudy Gobert, tested positive. After that was a cascade of events where sports leagues were suspended, events like the NCAA Basketball Tournament canceled, soon schools restaurants and other things would follow. I did one last hike before I decided to shelter in place. Even when I went to the store I wore a mask for the first time. Anyway, on this day there were a lot of people on the trail (I went to Laurel Run Park) but that was soon to change.

Hikers I met at No Business Knob Shelter.

Laurel Run Falls.

One thing that didn't close were trailheads and with a lot of people with nothing to do a lot decided to go hiking, especially to the most popular spots like Carvers Gap, Laurel Falls, and the Smokies. Soon it started to dawn on organizations like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) and the US Forest Service (USFS) that having large numbers of people gathering together was not a good idea and soon wasn't in line with CDC guidelines. Then the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) started to close facilities and before long closed the park around the same time a park employee tested positive for COVID-19. 

Closed...

...closed...

...& closed.

At the same time, the ATC first advised that aspiring thru-hikers postpone their journeys and ones on the trail to exit ASAP. Plus a lot of the establishments like hostel along the AT closed, AT Ridgerunners were pulled and a lot of Trail Angels deciding it is best not to take the risk. By this time the State of North Carolina had closed dining areas, so to eat it was carryout or delivery only. It became harder to do a Thru-Hike. Damascus Trail Days has even fallen victim to the crisis as it has been canceled this year. Now saying this has divided the hiking community would be an understatement. 

ATC at advise get off the AT.

No Trail Days in 2020.

A lot of thru-hikers decided to take, in my opinion, the prudent course, and postpone their journey. It isn't an easy decision, because a great many thru-hikers leave jobs and commented on a great number of resources to this undertaking. The hard decision is actually leaving the trail not staying. This virus isn't the ATC's fault they are trying to protect the trail and the communities that are a part of it.
It is still caused a schism since there are a good number who think this is overblown, they won't get it, or I am young so I won't or don't care if I get it. That type of cavalier thinking is not needed now.

It is a big commitment for thru-hikers.

It is not their fault.

I bet 95 percent (or more) of people who are bound and determined to stay on the trail don't know bushcraft and can't be self-sufficient on the trail. That means they will go into a town to resupply which means they can get it and spread it on up the trail or take it to a town because they have it and are asymptomatic. Also remember that because of this said towns, may not be as welcoming and I have heard anecdotally that this is the case.

Hot Springs....

...& Damascus.

I know some people don't want to believe this and it is some kind of hoax. Not everything is opinion facts are real and it is a fact that people are getting sick and dying. It is a fact people can pass this without showing symptoms, and while it is a fact that people over 65 and having underlying medical conditions are the most vulnerable. My Dad falls into this group, so I can't bring it home to him because I love him more than hiking. But it is also a fact that people of all ages are dying. Oh, it is also a fact people and corporations are losing a lot of money and people with it don't do that for no reason.

My Dad & I.

For myself, I probably could find places to hike because I know a lot of out of the way spots, but it is not just that. Trailheads have been closed like I said, so these places might now have people on them. However, it is not just that. I have to drive which means I will have to get gas at some point, which means exposure to the virus. If I had an accident... exposure and what happens if something happens on the trail? The USFS has said that you might be on your own because resources are rightfully been put to other purposes and they are short-staffed. I mean someone died this week on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) and I don't want to be a problem for the USFS or any essential services.  Plus, I could again get exposed and I can't bring this home and that is why I stay home! 

Better days.

Thru-hikers here have been affected by COVID-19 (KUOW-Megan Farmer).

Don't get me wrong this has been tough. For those who don't know (and I am not ashamed one bit) I suffer from acute anxiety and major depression. So, hiking is not just something I love to do but is enteric to my mental health. That means not going out is extra tough for me. Some people believe I am crazier than normal, but it is what I have to do. .I know at some point I will get back out on the trail it isn't going anywhere and that is my message to everyone. Fighting and backbiting won't get us through this or just thinking of yourself. Remember we will get through this together...


**Update April 4, 2020 -After I wrote this all TN State Parks are closed.**

COVID-19 Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment