Monday, November 16, 2020

Back In The Decade: Switzerland


This third blog on my trip to Europe features what turned out as my favorite place we visited, the greatest county in the world... Switzerland!
I will say that when I got the itinerary for the trip that wasn't what I thought would be the case. See, going to Rome had always been a dream of mine and going to England was too. But, what can I say from the moment we entered Switzerland I fell in love. That feeling only grew stronger when seeing my first snow-covered peaks. So, with that let's get to Back in the Decade to Switzerland...

Day Six: Lugano & Lucerne (July 15, 2010)

It was time to leave Italy but we passed Milan before heading into the Alps. The last Italian spot we passed was Lake Como before crossing the Swiss border. The first place in Switzerland we stopped was Lugano. It sets on the shore of the lake of the same name, and it is a beautiful city. What you will notice is it is more Italian, because this is the Italian part of Switzerland. Oh, and I had a great sandwich too. I mentioned this before but back in 2014 I did a blog on some of the photos of Switzerland that I didn't think I would use in this blog. Anyway, there is a chance a couple might be recycled.

Lake Como

Goodbye Italy...hello Switzerland



Houses on...

...Lake Lugano

Some of the sites (including palm trees) in Lugano

Italian sandwich shop in the Italian part of Switzerland

One more look at Lake Lugano

Our final destination for the day was Lucerne. This city sets in the heart of Switzerland. Before getting there we went through the 10.5-mile Gotthard Road Tunnel and I got my first look at the snow-capped peaks of the Alps. Since I have never been out west this was my first view of mountains capped by snow in Summer!

The Swiss countryside

Swiss Alps


Bristen

Gotthard Road Tunnel

Snow-covered peak

Clouds on Mittagstock


When we arrived in Lucerne we got a quick look around, which included the Löwendenkmal (Lion Monument), and the World's Oldest Wooden Covered Bridge the Kapellbrücke which almost burnt down in 1993.  This fire destroyed two-thirds of the famed Triangular Paintings on the bridge. Only around 30 were restored and ones with fire damage are still visible. After this, it was off to the hotel. That evening we had dinner of traditional Swiss cuisine, Restaurant Fritschi. Let's just say it was fun...

Löwendenkmal

Lucerne


Kapellbrücke

The wooden bridge & the Triangular Paintings... 

...ones damaged by the 1993 fire.

The Wasserturm (Water Tower)

Mount Rigi



The Reuss


A Monument in honor of St. George the Dragonslayer

Restaurant Fritschi

Some of the highlights at Restaurant Fritschi


I had plenty of both


Kapellbrücke at night


Day Seven: Mt. Pilatus, Lake Lucerne & Lucerne (July 16, 2010)

The morning brought a trip up to Mount Pilatus that towers over Lucerne. We were doing what is known as Golden Round Trip starting up the mountain by cable car. It is easy to see as you head up why people once thought this was the home to dragons.

Morning in Lucerne

Taking the cable car from Pilatus-Bahnen

Airel view of Lucerne


Lake Lucerne

The Fräkmüntegg


Toboggan Run

Mount Pilatus

Pilatus-Kulm

Once at the top I got to see the space age-looking Hotel Bellevue before I headed up to one of Pilatus' peaks, Esel. The view here was amazing, but there was more to it. I imagined being on the trails up the mountain. It was THE reason that I decided to get back into hiking and the outdoors! After I headed up to the peak Oberhaupt, across the way. Both of these peaks have a wonderful view. The descent from the mountain would be on the Pilatus Railway, the steepest cogwheel railway in the world. 

Hotel Bellevue...

...from Esel

Signs on the way to...

...Esel


Tomlishorn, Pilatus-Kulm Hotel & Oberhaupt

Lake Lucerne from Esel


Bernese Alps

Wetterhorner



Those trails below the Matthorn called to me!

Looking back at Hotel Bellevue before heading up to...

...Oberhaupt



Renovation materials brought up by helicopter

Klimsenhorn cross & church

My Stanley Cup celebration continued to Pilatus-Kulm

The Mountain of Dragons at the Cog Train station

Heading down

Path to the Matthorn


Shots of the steepest Cog Train

Great view of the Matthorn




Where I am heading after arriving at...

...Pilatus-Bahn

Once arriving at Alpnachstad we caught a boat for a trip across Lake Lucerne. Because of the wind, I was the only person who wasn't undercover, but this boat ride was amazing. Once back the rest of the day was enjoying Lucerne, including a trip across the smaller wooden bridge, Spreuerbrücke (which also has Triangular Paintings), and enjoyed the evening on the rooftop bar. Looking back this was my favorite day of the entire trip, and that is saying something!

Our boat...

...for the ride across Lake Lucerne


Stanserhorn



Mount Pilatus

I would love to have that boat...on Lake Lucerne

Bürgenstock



Back to Lucerne

Water highlights of Lucerne

Schiffrestaurant Wilhelm Tell 



The smaller wood bridge...Spreuerbrücke

Lucerne Town Hall, Jesuit Church, Old City Wall & Castle Rampart


Hotel Château Gütsch

Views of Lucerne from the roof of the Astoria




No comments:

Post a Comment