Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Now Batting Cleanup...Coleman Sundome!


If you regularly read this blog you know that camping is more than a hobby, but a passion of mine. With that said I added a new tent to my lineup...a two-person Coleman Sundome 2


No, my Kelty Salida 2 is fine, I just wanted a tent to use for some car camping and at the Cabin. I decided on the Sundome because it had good reviews, it wasn't too expensive and I had a gift card from Tractor Supply on something I returned, so it paid for half. It comes in at 7.5 pounds and most of that is the tent poles.
As always I like to pitch a tent before I use it and that is what I did Tuesday afternoon. Since it is a free-standing tent it doesn't have to be staked down. Like my REI Flash 1, the instructions are attached to the carry bag which I like better than a separate sheet like my Keltys. On the carry bag, it says 10 minutes set up (but it does say maybe longer on first set-up). 


It is similar to how my Kelty Salida goes up but also had things in common with my six-person Kelty Discovery 6. Like the bigger Kelty, the poles go into sleeves at the top of the tent. The one different thing is there are small metal rods that go into the tent poles. The rain fly is much smaller and it had a small rod that runs down the middle of it, kind of like the one in my REI tent. I will admit it wasn't that hard to put up, but it took longer than 10 minutes.



Oh, one cool thing it came with a gray may that I figured was a doormat (and I was right). I have used trash bags for this in the past. Now with this, I will not use it just with the Sundome, but also with most of my other tents. Inside it is pretty roomy. It also has a vent on the bottom on the back. Now all I need to do is take it out for a camping trip. I think it is going to work pretty well. But first I need to get a trap for a ground cloth...




No comments:

Post a Comment