Monday, November 23, 2020

Like I Always Say If It Was Easy It Would Be Shopping & Not Hunting


It is the weekend before Thanksgiving had means it is time for the new annual tradition...Deer Hunting Season. To be more specific, rifle season, which runs about three weeks in Virginia, West of the Blue Ridge in mid-November. This was my fourth season out as an adult. As I talked about before, I use to hunt as a kid at this same time of the year. I decided to come out of retirement back in 2017 because I love Venison.


Anyway, Dad and I went over on Thursday and we good cool weather I decided to head up and set in the tree stand with my old trusty 30-30 Winchester. While I saw no deer, I did see a nice sunset.





Friday was going to be an early morning as I started out before sun-up. I thought it might be a good day as I caught the glimpse of four or five deer in the yard, eating grass. There wasn't enough light to tell exactly how many, if there were any Bucks (male deer) or shoot if there had been one. Then on the way up, on one of my trails, I startled one in the woods. I started my day at the meadow where we planted a deer plot. I sat for an hour or so before heading back to the tree stand I sat at the day before. Sitting here all I saw were squirrels, both Gray and Ground (Chipmunks). So, before heading back I went back to the field. 




It was long before I heard something over my shoulder and out of the woods came a deer. I looked hard trying to put some bumps on its head, but that was just wishing. Also, shoot any sex wasn't until the following day. It wouldn't have mattered because it wasn't long until it's fawn came down to join here. While it had grown beyond its spots it wasn't fully mature. So, no I wasn't going to shoot Bambi's mom!


So, Saturday I was more hopeful since I could shoot any sex of deer I saw squat. That included sitting in two different tree stands and back to where I saw the deer the day before, but no it was another year of frustration. If it was easy it would be shopping and not hunting...







Anyway, besides my usual fire building and the best view I have every got of the ISS, I wish I would have started my video before I did. Oh, one other thing of interest was Bax went over with us. I finally got to fulfill my promise I made to him before his surgery back in May. He went with us to the other barn and it is close to a three-mile round trip. Let's say he was tired and thirsty by the time we got back. 











Well, that was another fun season in the books. I was once again on the losing end, but I am not done. Bow season starts back after rifle ends and I have been practicing (shooting a bow that is). If I want, I could always hunt squirrels...




No comments:

Post a Comment