Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Laurel Run & Bays Mountain Falls Highlight A Late Fall Hike


With my ear feeling better it was time to just get out and I decided, on Tuesday, a hike at Laurel Run Park fit the bill.
Since Laurel Run offers the closest hiking destination I decided to get back into the swing of things since my week off. Also, my last visit was in March on the eve of the COVID-19 Pandemic. so I hadn't been here since things went haywire. Since it is late fall this is my first hike where it looked wintertime.



The park hadn't changed much out front but there was something that was different. At the trailhead, there are two bridges. The first is the same, but a new bridge had been installed next to the remains of the old one. The trail also had a new place design and color... a red diamond.




I decided to take the loop up to the Canebreak Mountain Overlook since I didn't on my last trip.
Rewinding back to the new bridge, I was hoping maybe the spot where the trail crosses Laurel Run Creek which can be hard to cross at high water could have gotten a bridge. Well, it didn't, but there is now a small sand bar which makes the crossing easier.







Well, what makes Laurel Run Park special is all the waterfalls. From the park's namesake to Kiner Falls and all of the other waterfalls in-between. It makes for an excellent trip. Once back I did my visit "Down by the Riverside" of the Holston. 










My finally business of the day was heading over to the best of Hawkins County Cascades...Bays Mountain Falls. Like all the falls I saw on this day the flow was average at Bays Mountain, but good all the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment