Saturday, December 12, 2020

Snow Adventures Return With A Trip To The Roans


Nothing says the Yule Season like snow, but except for a dusting, Heat Miser has been in charge in the earlier part of Winter. So, I went chasing some December snow, Wednesday, at a favorite place of mine...the Roans.


I had thought about going to Newfound Gap in the Smokies last week because they got quite a bit of snow. But between not knowing if Newfound Gap Road and not being comfortable about a trip through Gatlinburg and Great Smoky Mountains National Park during the pandemic. After seeing Snow Miser's handy work on my aborted trip, Sunday, to Camp Creek Bald, hike to Margarette Falls, and the prospect of more snow, in the higher elevations, on Monday I decided to go and look for snow. I settled on Carvers Gap because while busy it isn't Newfound Gap. 



The reason I decided on Wednesday was I wanted to let them clear TN-143 because there was supposed to be more flurries and it was really cold and windy on Tuesday. This is relevant because when I got to Carvers Gap Wednesday morning it was cold and the wind was howling. So, I am glad I decided on the day I did because there was plenty of snow and I would have hated for it to have been colder and windier. 



Because of the weather Wednesday morning I decided to go up Roan Mountain to Roan High Knob Shelter instead of the Roan Highlands. The trees on the mountainside serve as a natural tree break. I also thought that the wind might die down and if it didn't it could be a little warmer. Also, that side of the mountain gets less Sun so there is more snow.



There was snow at Carvers Gap but as soon as I hit the trees there was more snow. I also got to walk across a couple of the streams that were frozen. The hike up the Roan High Knob is a beautiful one anytime, but even more so with snow. Because of all of the conifer trees, it looks like an alpine setting out of the Sound of Music. It also looks and smells like Christmas. It is 1.5 miles from Carvers Gap to the shelter junction. 

























When I got to the junction I could hear a sign of what awaited me at the summit...wind, and cold. Since Roan High Knob is the highest point (at 6,285 feet) I am guessing the wind was cutting over the top it was really cold. On the thermometer inside the shelter said 26 degrees. With the wind, it was low teens outside, so this is where I ate lunch. I also went to the boulders at the actual summit. Usually, I can find the marker, but there was a couple of inches of snow here. However, with a little work and perseverance, I found it...oh, did I say it was cold?






Because the trail was pretty icy on the way up I decided to put on my traction device, YakTrax for the first time this Winter. The hike back was just as beautiful as going up. The snow had barely melted so it was still a Winter Wonderland...nice job Snow Miser!













Once back at the car it was time to head up on the highlands. I will say the wind was blowing less, but more importantly, it was a tick warmer, so I headed up. Like I figured there was less snow on the Balds, but the sweeping views were more than worth the difference. It is just amazing to see the difference between Summer and Winter on the Roans. Also, something that was different was the Round Bald sign was gone.












Anyway, about the time I got to the top of said Round Bald the wind started. Now it had been blowing but up on top, it was howling. It got numb your hands cold pretty quick. The only plus was that it was a tailwind at this point, but I had to come back into it...but that's for later.








The combination of use and melt made the trail pretty icy, especially going up Jane Bald. Once at the top of Jane Bald, it was great views but plenty of wind. If I planned to go back when I reached Jane Bald I would have because I was over the wind. Before heading back I had a visitor, a spike buck (deer).











In normal times the hike up Round Bald is harder than it looks.  But hiking up in fierce headway I was beaten when I got to the top. I could imagine how much worse it was earlier in the day. Pete even though it was a bit breezy, but I think he enjoyed it...silly rabbit.  I actually looked forward to reaching the trees. It was long before I exited them and was back at Carvers Gap. 
















I had one more stop on the way back down. Those huge icicles dot the way up (and down), I had to get a closer look. For these and all of the natural snow beauty I just want to say...thank you, Snow Miser...thanks!










No comments:

Post a Comment