Thursday, November 12, 2015

When On The Road You Have To Eat


On my three day trip to Illinois I ate at a number of new places, so I am going to talk about four of them. The first was the Waffle King in Middlesboro, KY. If you never have been to one it is like a cross between a Waffle House and a methadone clinic or a cut rate Huddle House. I shouldn't be so rough on it. Yes there were plenty of methheads in the place and the bathrooms need work the food was actually good. My waffles were better than expected and my eggs were perfectly cooked.

In Middlesboro, KY.

Inside the Waffle King...

...& my food.
The next place I will talk about is Niemergs Steakhouse in Effingham, IL.We met my Aunt and Uncle here at this local establishment. Since it was a steakhouse, I got steak or more specifically, prime rib. This is one of my absolute favorite cuts of meat and I will say, while not as good as the one at the Ye Olde Steakhouse in Knoxville, it was very good. For desert I had a very good piece of coconut cream pie.

Sign for Niemergs...

...& fall decorations outside.

Inside.

Prime rib at Ye Olde Steakhouse...


...picture from Niemergs site.

The third place on the list is also in Effingham and it was a Mexican Resturant, El Ranchito. I will say it was a busy place on Saturday night. I had the El Ranchito Fajatias, which are the beef, chicken and chorizo. It was good, but El Paraiso, in Rogersville, is better and it can't touch Costa del Sol in Greeneville. While my meal was good I had the worst flan that I ever have had at El Ranchito.

Inside...

El Ranchito.

Still the best.

Finally, the last place we ate at was on the way back to Tennessee and this eating establishment is Culver's. This is a mid-west fast food restaurant that I have wanted to try for some time. It is famous for its Butterburgers which are hamburgers where the buns have been brushed with butter. They are famous enough that Jack in the Box copied it for one of its current burgers. As would happen I had one of Jack's earlier in the week. Let me just say Jack can imitate but not duplicate...Culver's is better! Oh, Culver's also has really good onion rings. The other thing that Culver's is famous for is its frozen custard. You can get it sundae style or the concrete mix. I wanted to taste the custard, so I went with the hot fudge, with whipped cream, on top and it was good. I would definitely recommend Culver's.

Outside Culver's.

Menu board.

Butterburger & onion rings...

,,, & the famous custard.

So that is about all and Bon Appétit.

No comments:

Post a Comment