Sunday, January 15, 2017

You Could Call This DIYK (Do It Yourself Kimchi)


Well, I recently had a new DIY Project, which if you know me is close to my heart...I made Kimchi. So, for those who don't know or never had Kimchi it is fermented Korean cabbage, which is kind of like sauerkraut but spicier and better. How you may ask does a guy living in East Tennessee get a taste for fermented Korean cabbage. Well, that is my good friend Glen's fault. He took me to my first Korean restaurant back in the late 90's and I was hooked. After I moved to the ATL I was always on the look for good Korean food, which at the top of the list was Kimchi. I went to a number of excellent Korean restaurants, including the Honey Pig and Han IL Kwan (which is the only place in Metro Atlanta with charcoal grills. At one place I discovered that Kimchi was not just made out of cabbage, but also radish, cucumbers and one of my favorites dandelion. It might be hard to believe but I have even found good Kimchi in East Tennessee (Korean Taco House & White Duck Taco Shop both in Johnson City).

Honey Pig...

Kimchi with Pork Belly.

Han IL Kwan.

Korean Taco House...

...Kimchi with Beef Bulgogi.

White Duck Taco Shop...

...the one on the right is the Beef Bulgogi with Kimchi.

So, a couple of birthdays ago my Dad and Terry bought me Mama O's Homemade Kimchi Kit. I had been thinking of using it to make Kimchi for a while, but since I want to eat better in 2017, I thought why not finally make use of it. So, with snow on its way I bought what I needed, cabbage, green onion, and cilantro. It is traditionally made with napa Cabbage, but I used car mix of it and green cabbage because it can be made just as well with it. The kit came with everything else I needed. I first had to brine the cabbage overnight. 

Here is the stuff with my kit...

...preparing cabbage...

...for the salt brine.

Then the next day I drained the cabbage and cut up the other vegetables then it was time to mix in the jar of kimchi paste that came with the kit. To do that I had to use rubber gloves, which came with it and after that I placed in in the jar and put on the lid with the airlock. After that, you place at room temperature for two days. 

The next day draining the cabbage...

...cutting up Cilantro & Green Onion.

...getting ready...

...mixing in the Kimchi paste...

...yes, I had to use rubber gloves.

...after mixed into the jar...

...the lid with the airlock.

Well, I have to say that I didn't know what to expect, but it turned out pretty good, better than I expected. Yes, I have had better, but I have also had worse. I suspect that I will make this again in the future, but I will need to get some more paste.

The finished product...

...Wood Booger has got to have a taste...

...yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment