Monday, May 22, 2017

A Near Death Experience Highlights This Week's Down The Rabbit Hole


Pete here, but I must it almost wasn't the case!. Usually, Down the Rabbit Hole is about how I have to carry the Big Lummox on our hiking adventures. While I have a few of those stories, to come, I first must address my near death experience Wednesday as I was mauled by that Blanco Diablo...Bax!
We had just returned from a hike to Laurel Fork Falls, which I will talk about later, and for some reason, the Lummox decided to go pet Bax with me over his shoulder. Then that slobbering, fraidy cat Lester acted like he might finally come to the Lummox. So, when he leaned over to pet Lester, I suddenly found myself in the jaws of the farting fur ball Bax. I will say my life passed before my eyes and I thought about all of the mountains I hadn't climbed yet (like Mount Washington). However, as sudden as it started I was out of the mouth of that devil dog. While I will admit the Big Lummox saved my bacon, he was the stupid idiot that put me in harm's way in the first place! I  survived, but now I might hate dogs more than kids!


Now on to the hikes...on Monday we were on the kiddie ride of trails known as Panther Creek State Park. I know there was some talk of somewhere even easier, but Panther Creek isn't much on the difficulty meter to a Master Hiker of my caliber. Because of this, there wasn't much complaining, except when we had crawl though some blowdown. At least I only had to listen to one this time. But I like any trail time.




Now Wednesday was more my speed as it was AT (Appalachian Trail) time as we hiked to Laurel Fork Falls. Once again this hike was a walk in the park to a machine like me. But it wasn't a whine-free day. After enjoying the impressive Laurel Fork Falls we headed up a nice rocky uphill, but the Big Lummox didn't see the fun in this spot but instead complained about how hard it was. Well, it was for him. We then passed a couple of burnouts at the Laurel Fork Shelter, one said he was a thru-hiker. Speaking of thru-hikers I do have to add that it was good to be with a number of them who I admire because one day I hope to mold the Lummox into one...maybe in the future (when Hell freezes over). The day was almost ruined by my near death experience, almost.






Speaking of thru-hikers, on Saturday I attended the thru-hiking celebration that is AT Days in Damascus. I must say I would rather have been hiking a steep trail carring the Big Lummox (and others) to a great view, but since that ws off the table I couldn't think of any better place than to be with hikers close (but under my level). I even got to meet one of my heroes Jennifer Pharr Davis, now that women, is on my level! Oh, and I love the Hiker Parade!! Overall it was a good day even though I heard plenty of winning about hot it was. Instead of his feet the Lummox should have stuck his head in the water, then he would have known how it felt to be in Bax's mouth!




No comments:

Post a Comment