Saturday, May 6, 2017

A Week Of Hiking From The Rabbit Hole


It is Pete again, not my back is sore from all the weight I have had carry over the past week. Don't get me wrong, I loved getting out on four hikes in a week, you can't beat it. Some were a lot better than others and speaking of the best that was the first hike, back to Charlies Bunion. Boy, it was nice to be in the High Country of the Smokies during the thru-hiking season. Getting to interact with hikers who are close to my level (naturally below it, but close) is an excellent change. They are not like the Big Lummox as I had to hear him huff, puff and whine his way first up to the Real Bunion and then on AT (Appalachian Trail) trekking up to Ice Water Spring on Mount Kephart. If anyone should complain is me because I had to carry his sorry ass! I am just glad that no thru-hikers witnessed this as I would have been embarrassed. Overall, even with the whinning, it was still an excellent hike.






Number Two was the hike in Pouge Creek Canyon with the Sierra Club. The Lummox and I were attending the State Chapter Meeting, so a lot of them probably hadn't seen a hiker of my level ever (it is like if Scott Jurek showed up, but better). I did have to put my foot down and tell the Big Lummox we were hiking back with the Sweeper Leader and not up front and you know why...KIDS! I have talked before about what I think of them, but if you haven't heard...I DON'T LIKE THEM! I was thankful we had a large group because for most of the hike they were in the front with The Hike Leader and not with me. But for a short time after we left the outcrop, I ended up in the back with them. One even threatened the Lummox with a stick and he a course trembles in fear, she was just lucky I did snatch that out of her hand. The rest of the hike was like the hair color...Nice and Easy.







The third hike (and second of the day) was to the place called the Twin Arches. This hike was better for two reasons, first I finally got to hike in the Big South Fork! The second, and this is an easy one, NO KIDS! However, I might add that the hike, while easy, was nice and I will admit the Twin Arches were pretty spectacular. Overall it was two good hikes and I will say I enjoyed hanging with some good people (but not the kids).




The fourth hike was really exhausting as not only did I have to carry the Big Lummox (like always) I had to keep that crazy dog Bax in line on the way to Margarette Falls and back. For some reason the Lummox likes this slobbering, barking, farting, eating machine. Now let me just say he is not worse than kids, but he is close. It just seems that a dog is always looking at a lean, mean hiking machine like me the wrong way. Luckily he would see someone else to set him off and then I would snap him back into line (I will have to say that is fun). Oh, do you want to know something else guess who was the only hiker who's tongue wasn't hanging at the end of the hike? This guy!





No comments:

Post a Comment