Thursday, May 4, 2017

It Was A Big Bax Day Hike At Margarette Falls


Over the years I have hiked with a wide range of people and groups. I have also hiked with other people and their dogs (most famously Glen and Charlie Brown). But I had never taken a dog out myself until Wednesday as it was Bax's Big Day Hike to Margarette Falls. 
I introduced Bax (here) a few weeks ago, but this big lovable Lab had been out at the Cabin in Southwest Virginia, but this was his first hike. I originally thought of taking him to Laurel Run Park, but I wasn't sure about the condition of the trail (because of the flooding last week) and I hadn't been to Margarette Falls in a few months so I decided to head there. 



This is my annual Halloween Hike so I have talked about it in more detail before, but it is a three-mile in-and-out to this 60-foot waterfall. When we got to the trailhead Bax was pretty good just sniffing around and had no problem with a couple that was getting ready to hike to the falls. However, when these two guys showed up, just a few minutes later, he went Bax...barking and jumping, this was an omen for the day. 





There first half of the hike heads up what use to be the road, which went to the old parking are. So it is wide and not too steep, Bax even lets me take some pictures, including blooming Mountain Laurel. When we arrived at the old parking area, which is now a trail junction, I took Bax over to the water, which he enjoyed. 





Then it was time to head to the "real" trail section of the outing. Bax handled the trail part well (even the rocky stretch) going along "marking stuff," but the people was a different story. He barked at those guys when they came back through, but also the couple too. This is why he stayed on the leash all day. 












We finally made it to the falls and Bax was fine until a guy and his dog showed up. Well, Bax was not on his best behavior and let just say he wasn't happy and he didn't care it was another Lab. Let's just say we cut our stay short and headed back. What was funny is when I passed that guy, who I saw in the lot earlier, Bax didn't bark at him at all. 



There were a couple of spots on the way back that Bax about pulled me off my feet on some slippery downhills. One spot, in particular, could have been nasty! With the way he was acting I was glad when we got off the narrow part of the trail. While at the junction taking a water break, that guy and his dog (the one at the waterfall) passed and Bax was back barking. So, I let them get down the trail some distance before heading out. 




Still, the whole way back, Bax was sniffing that dog's trail, pulling me along (he is pretty stout). Once back I put him in the car with some water and his lunch. I will be honest it was a little harder day than expected, but it was fun to hit the trail with Bax, I look forward to our next outing.







No comments:

Post a Comment