Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Pandemic Sunday Funday On The Turkey Pen Cove-Middle Spring Ridge Loop


Sunday, I went for my second (non-controlled) hike in the Age of COVID-19...this time to Horse Creek Recreation Area and the Turkey Pen Cove-Middle Spring Ridge Loop in the Sampson Mountain Wilderness.



This outing was going to serve several purposes. Besides doing something I loved I needed a hike to get in shape and I also had the new gear to test out the first was a pair of new low-cut gaiters. My old Outdoor Research gaiters were starting to wear out. The strap had broken long ago, the bug treatment had faded and the velcro was starting not to work. So, I got another par of OR Gaiters, but not the bug kind this time. These are the Rocky Mountain Model instead of the Bug Out, they were considerably cheaper.


The other item was a new day pack. My old one has seen many years of use. But, it is held together by Seam Seal and it has started to smell like my hockey gear (and that's bad). I had gotten one from REI, the 30L Hydration Pack. I liked the color, but that was about it. So, I sent it back and ordered the Osprey Talon 33L Pack. So, when I got it I like it enough that I decided to give it a test drive.
But where to go? Since it was a Sunday I wanted to hike a trail I thought I wouldn't run into anyone and at Horse Creek, the only hike that fits the bill is the Turkey Pen Cove-Middle Springs Ridge Loop.


So, when I got to Horse Creek there were two cars and a third came in when I got ready. Once on the trail, I passed some people on the trail to the start of Turkey Pen Cove Trail (also Middle Springs and Squibb Creek Trails). Also, at the Samson Mountain Wilderness sign, I ran into a Northern Water Snake and then a Ringneck one.







I have done this hike a few times (most recent was December), but let me say on the way up the Turkey Pen Cove Trail I was feeling it. I will say it I am out of hiking shape...there I said it. Besides this, it was hot and humid. This is the hardest this first-half of this hike I have had. I will admit I almost tapped out, but Pete wouldn't let me. When we finally got to the turn to head up the ridge I got a second wind.







This is the best section of the hike. It switchbacks, which was good, there are get views and some wildflowers. In particular, while there wasn't a lot there were a couple of Mountain Laurel blooms. When I was almost to the top I ran into another hiker. So, on with my mask, but I did talk with him for a couple of minutes. I did tell him about the hike on up, a mile-and-a-half to Buzzard Roost.









For me, I took a lunch break, before I headed back, and to my surprise, four more people came by. Granted they said they meant to go-to Squibb Creek Falls, but that was five more people than I had ever seen on this trail. Lucky for me that was all the people I would encounter on my way down the Middle Springs Ridge Trail (but more Mountain Laurel). I even didn't see anyone back to the trail junction and past "my house."










That changed just before I reached the final footbridge as I encountered, as Pete would say, a bunch of Mouthbreathers! When I got back to the car there was a whole bunch more than three. Oh, mask and social distancing must have missed these people. That includes the 30 people at a picnic Pavillion (violating the 10 person gathering rule).


So, how did my new gear hold-up? Well, I never had to adjust the gaiters, so they passed. As for the backpack...I loved it! It has the same mesh backing as my big backpack which is niceeee. The water bladder fits under the mesh area. Also, the size is adjustable, once I got it right it was so light. SO, my final word I love this new daypack and it was a great day hike. A true Sunday, Funday...





No comments:

Post a Comment