Friday, May 15, 2020

Finally, The Wood Booger Is Back On The Trail....At Buffalo Mountain!


Thursday was a big day. While I have been hiking at the Cabin during the Coronavirus Pandameic today was my first outing out of a very controlled environment. Since I have come to the conclusion that this is the new normal for now and I know those in power have really thrown in the towel. So, I know I will have to take care of me and that means I need to go out (& Pete too as he wrote)!



Where to go? Well, about this time every year I head to Buffalo Mountain Park to look for wildflowers, specifically, Pink Lady Slippers and Mountain Laurel. I also wanted a hike, but I will admit I am not in top hiking shape. The one downside is that it can be popular and being around people is something I wanted to try and avoid. Anyway, I decided to go, because it is a big mountain.



As always I parked at the Hartsell Hollow Trailhead (the lower non-BJ one). From here I hiked up to the first junction and then towards the upper parking area. Once I topped out with the trail to Huckleberry Knob. This area is where I, in the past, have found lots of blooming Mountain Laurel around this time.








While I did find some, for whatever reason (like it has been unseasonably cool lately) they just hadn't bloomed out like before. They look a week or two behind schedule. However, there were plenty of others like Flame Azaleas, Everlasting Pea, Rattlesnake Weed, and Pink Lady Slippers.






I hiked and out, first to Tip Top (the highest point in the park) and then back towards the Communication Towers and White Rocks. On the way, I ran into a woman from the Johnson City Parks Department and a gentleman who is wanting to start a Friends of Buffalo Mountain and I gave him my number as I would love to help.


















After reaching White Rocks I had decided to head back on the Noggin Trail. I had planned to take this, fairly new, Pink blazed, trail last year when I came down the Tower Ridge Trail. I somehow missed it then, but now I was picking it up at the East terminus near White Rocks. While a short blue blaze starts it you cross the Tower Road to meet the first pink blaze. Before long the trail will turn at an old spring house that I didn't know about. The trail heads up and crosses the Tower Ridge Trail, I don't know how I missed it last year. After for the next half-mile, it is a steep trail down Catbird Creek and Hartsell Hollow.
















Like the Noggin, I had never hiked the Hartsell Hollow Trail. The Noggin joins it near the top of the Hartsell Hollow Trail. I wondered why? Well if you follow the blue blaze the short distance there is a somewhat dead-end (there is a manway to the left) at a waterfall. It is 15 feet and probably with water flow pretty nice, but today it was low flow. Until I get a name I am calling it Hartsell Hollow Falls. This was the only waterfall, there were two more that actually had more flow. I am going to call these Upper and Lower Catbird Cascades. Also, I spotted a wildflower that I thought I was too late to see, Dwarf Crest Iris!  I then arrived at the junction where I started earlier and back to the car.










g in the area of COVID-19. I had a buff that I have around my neck and I used it to cover my nose and mouth when I met people, but I was the only person I met who was covering my nose and mouth. Yes, I know it is hard to hike with one on I didn't when I was on the trail alone, but covered my face when I met people. Also, I was the one doing social distancing. Like I said above you have to take responsibility for themselves. With that said it was really good to be on the trail, yes it was...


No comments:

Post a Comment