Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Autumn Splendor on Display in the Roan Highlands


As September gave way to October I couldn't think of a better way to enjoy the autumn season than backpacking. What better place than the Roan Highlands, specifically my campsite from June at the Roan High Ridge saddle.
I swore after my trip to the Virginia Highlands that my next overnight would be a car camp. However, the call of the highlands is strong and this time it was of the Roan variety. Oh, add to that the great weather last week I decided to head to my favorite campsite between Grassy Ridge Bald and Big Roan Ridge. 

Mt. Rogers September 2021

As I mentioned I camped here back in mid-June during Rhododendron Season. As I said then this is one of, if not the best campsites I have visited. Since I had done the hike many times (just over 2.5 miles) I know while tough it isn't too taxing. Another reason for wanting to do this backpack again was the time of the year. I hadn't done a fall outing to the Roan Highlands since 2013 and that is eight years too long.

The Roans October 2013...

...June 2021

So, it was up to Carvers Gap and the start of the outing. Because I arrived on Thursday the parking area wasn't as full so it was easy to park. Something else that was different was the relatively calm breeze. I can't remember the last time I had been to Carvers Gap and it not be blustery, but not today.





I was greeted on the way up the Appalachian Trail (AT) by some of the last Mountain Angelica and blueberry bushes turning. I love the hike up to Round Bald and down to Engine Gap as there was plenty of fall color. Then it was the first really hard climb of the day up to Jane Bald. Luckily it is short and I got to rest at the Big Rock and enjoy the view.


Dr. Brown's Trees

Girl & the NC Mountains



Engine Gap

Big Rock


The next climb up what I refer to as Harriett Knob is stealthy tough because there is nothing about it in guide books. After another break at the AT and Grassy Ridge Trail junction, it was time to head up to the bald. 





It is a tough half-mile up and once at the summit I still had 0.2 miles to the campsite. As I said in June this is one of the best campsites I have occupied. But, while the views are fantastic, sunset is better at the summit of Grassy Ridge Bald. Oh, and I got to enjoy it in my new Crazy Creek Chair.



The campsite

Tent set-up




Sunset & summit...


My new chair


So, when I got back I prepared to build a fire I heard people's voices and then three guys came out of the woods including photographer Tommy White. They also know about this spot and planned to stay here, but said they would just get water. I told them since it was dark and they were planning to stay there tomorrow just to set up and enjoy my fire. They were cool guys. Tommy told me they had one more coming. He started from Carvers Gap after dark. It was about 10 o'clock when we heard him and his dog Maggie coming out of the woods. She was a rambunctious puppy who likes everyone. She was so cute! 




Maggie!

The next morning we hopped for a great sunrise, but just like in June a big cloud rolled in from the east to block the view. But unlike three months back it passed and we got some of the most amazing colors before the clouds returned. Just before I left out it cleared to the east and there was a sea of clouds around Hump Mountain. 







The views on the way back would dip in and out of clouds all heading east-west. That is why North Carolina had clouds and the Tennessee side was clear. I took a break at the big rock because I still knew I had the climb up Round Bald, which is a tough day hiking, but add a 30+ pound backpack makes it doubly so. I took a break at Rest Rock before submitting Round Bald. 









The final part is downhill to Carvers Gap. The one difference was the crowds had really picked up, especially once I got to Jane Bald. Although once I neared Carvers Gap I was even surprised by the number of cars. I even passed a class from Appalachian State University. Anyway, I was tired when I reached the gap, and if it is my last backpack of the season it was a great more to end on.



The crowds had picked up on Friday



Here are the links for more photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment