Friday, October 29, 2021

It Was Falltastic Weekend On Camp Creek Bald

It is October in East Tennessee...with that comes cooler temperatures beautiful sunrise, sunsets, and fall colors. There are not too many better places to enjoy the beauty of autumn than at one of my favorite places, Camp Creek Bald.

2020 Trip

So, this past weekend it was up the Viking Mountain Road to Jones Meadow for some camping on what is now an annual event. But first, it was some hiking. First, across said meadow on what was the former Appalachian Trail (AT), which is now blue-blazed. Then it was to the current AT and out to Big Firescald Knob with its fantastic views, made even better by the autumn colors. 


Dillard Place


Viking Mountain Overlook




My tree on the AT

Going right...

...on the AT...

...to Big Firescald Knob (NC)...

...Tennessee

Big Bald (T), Mt. Mitchell (BL) & The Craggies (BR)


Howard's Rock

After enjoying some lunch and views it was back southbound on the AT. After a stop for more great views at Blackstack and White Rock Cliffs, it is on the AT to my campsite from 2020. Just past the junction back to Jones Meadow (or before if you are hiking AT North) is a great campsite. 



Blackstack Cliffs

White Rock Cliffs


Jones Meadow junction

There is plenty of room, a great fire ring, and a piped spring nearby. But I decided on another campsite, the former location of the Camp Creek Bald Lean-To. I said last year I thought about camping here and I wanted to because of the history at the site. I also it would be easier to get my stuff to the site with my new tool a foldable mini-cart because on like the other site it was mostly old road versus trail.

AT campsite from 2020

The 2021 campsite...

...at the old Camp creek Bald Lean-To site

This wagon is awesome!

After setting up camp it was time to make dinner. But like last year I didn't haul the food to the site but instead made dinner at the car. I mean it is easier to store the food in it. After dinner, it was time to head up to the Camp Creek Bald Summit to the bluffs to watch the sunset. I am going to say that there are not many better places to watch the sun sink than the Camp Creek Bluffs. Like the previous year, this year was spectacular. 



Sundown



After, it was back to camp and a relaxing finish of the day by the fire. It was pretty quiet, except for the occasional locals. That was one of the disadvantages of this site is it was closer where the locals like to enjoy. I felt worse for a cool guy I met whose trail name is Yukon Rasputin. He actually rode a bicycle from Greeneville to Jones Meadow. Anyway, I take it he also use the old shelter site and he camped even closer to their revealing. But, he said that he sleep well anyway.



Yukon Rasputin




Another plus to the site is it is closer to my sunrise spot on White Rock Cliffs. You can actually reach the AT from a manway at the back of the campsite. I think it was the old trail to water that is very near here on the AT. Once on AT it is a short left up the hill and then on the right. It is a great spot to watch the sunrise. After making breakfast at the car it was time to break down camp. Boy that cart comes in handy.


Sun-up








What came next, I will admit, wasn't planned. On Saturday I was taking a picture of the Camp Creek Bald Fire Tower and noticed someone on top of it. As readers of this blog know I finally got to visit the catwalk of the old fire tower back at the start of 2021. You see when the Andrew Johnson  Amateur Radio Club is in the tower you can go up to the catwalk. Well, on Sunday just as I was about to head towards Greeneville I heard hammering. So, I got my camera and zoomed in, and saw someone working on the roof. 



Person on the tower Saturday (T) & Sunday (B)

There really was no doubt that I was heading to the summit, not with the fall colors. When I got up in the tower I learned that the club was putting a new roof on the tower. it was easy to work as it was pretty windy, but I would like to think everyone from the club for being so welcoming! 









The places I was at Saturday...Blackstack Cliffs (T), Big Firescald Knob (BL), White Rock Cliffs (BR)

Unaka Mountain (T), Big Bald summit (BL), Buffalo & Holston Mountains


After enjoying the fantastic view it was time to head back to Jones Meadow and the car. Once again it is hard to beat autumn on the Camp! Below are links to more photos and the individual ones featured in collages.






No comments:

Post a Comment