Sunday, April 2, 2023

Quick Sunday Hiking To Laurel Run Falls

This past Sunday I was scheduled to go to Johnson City for First Aid/CPR Training because I missed the one I was scheduled to do in February because of COVID. But since that was in the afternoon I had the morning to do a hike and I chose Laurel Run Park.

My First-aid/CPR Class in Boones Creek.

I chose Laurel Run because it wasn't out of my way. See my training was actually in Boones Creek which was before Johnson City. However, the main reason is there aren't too many places in early spring that has the wildflowers this small park in Hawkins County has. It also would allow me to run my drone, which I didn't get on my last trip here (I forgot the SD card). Since I only had a set amount of time, I planned to go to the main waterfall. But, I still went up the Overlook Trail on the slopes of Canebreak Mountain. There are always wildflowers going up and plenty coming down the other side. While I will try and do a Wildflower blog I have to say I didn't know if it was too early for a Drooping Wakerobin (Trillium). 

Heading up the Overlook Trail.

The Overlook

(Clockwise) Carolina Spring Beauty, Wakerobin, Trout Lily, Fond Fern, Twinleaf.

When I reached Laurel Run Falls I wanted to run the drone over it. Now I have run the drone around waterfalls before, but this was the most turbulence I have encountered. The drone would be pushed one way by a side draft, pushed by a down draft, and then lifted. No, other waterfall matched this. So, I decided to bring it in for a landing and as I was landing a side draft pushed into my chest and the drone crashed. It was okay and so was my chest.

When I got back I tested the drone and it was just fine. I flew it over the park and got some great views of the Holston River. My chest probably faired worse than my drone. I was happy and most of all so was Pete.






SmugMug Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment