Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Here Is An Earth Day Rant On Trail Magic And Trash

I have written in the past about litter in the outdoors and the Leave No Trace ethic and feeding bears (here & here). Recently I have seen a couple of things that got my attention, since my last rant. However, on some of the pages I traffic any questions of peoples action is called “bashing." While I don't want to offend people on my blog I can bash all I like and since it is Earth Day, I decided another rant is in order.
The first deals with a topic I have only touched on and that is practice of Trail Magic. In a nutshell it is the giving off items usually food to thru and sections hikers. I was reading a post on a Facebook page I am signed up for, Appalachian Trail Section Hikers. In it one of the members, Carol, put up a post about some group leaving, unattended, food and drinks at Dicks Creek Gap for hikers. 

Dicks Creek Gap...

...& the stuff left there recently (Photo by Carol Donaldson).

At places like Dicks Creek Gap you see signs like this...

...& this...

...sometimes this.

Let just start out by saying I have no problem with Trail Magic, because I know some people do. I witnessed people set up at Woody Gap in March and I have even given a cliff bars, water and even a rides to thru-hikers who need it. I think it is a noble endeavor, if done responsibly and there is a good post at Appalachian Trials that makes this argument. With that said, leaving a cache of food and sugary sodas at a road crossing is just a recipe for trouble. For those who don’t know there are plenty of Black Bears in this area of the Appalachian Trail (AT) about 10 miles from the North Carolina boarder. Besides the AT also cutting through Dicks Creek Gap is US Highway 76 which is a busy two lane road connecting Hiawassee and Clayton

Thru-hiker we gave a ride to Hampton...

...& I gave a Cliff Bar to last year at Tray Mountain.

US 76...

...& parking at Dicks Creek Gap.

Even at Lake Zwerner in Dahlonega has bear proof trash cans.

So, not only leaving food at a busy gap crossing endangers hikers it also puts at risk bears for the obvious reason that this conditions them to human food and waste. Remember bears are looking for an easy meal just like hikers. The added danger for bears is that one could be easily hit coming to this road crossing smelling this food. It also puts at risk drivers who pass through Dicks Creek Gap because a large animal can cause a lot of damage to motor vehicles.
I mean even the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in their guidelines on Trail Magic plainly says to not leave food items unattended. So, if you want to do Trail Magic then stay with the food. If you think you must leave something unattended (but don't), use a bear proof container. It is problems like this that cause shelters to be closed (Watauga Lake) or areas to require bear containers (Blood Mountain) at certain times of the year.

Watauga Lake Shelter closed last summer.

Signs that can be seen now near Blood Mtn.

There was another photo put up that also bothers me and it deals with leaving advertisement for Trail Magic or Feeds. Some people don’t consider an advertised place people are set up as Trail Magic (as that is supposed to be a surprise or spur of the moment) and is a what's called a Feed. Well, like I said I don’t care if people help hikers just don’t tape signs to post in the woods on trails. Hey, I will let it go at a gap, but the person who posted this on Facebook says it was down the trail added to that the ATC advise against advertised Feeds anyway. I am not saying that (but they do have a point) but just don't tape signs to the trees on the trail, "just don't do it!"

Here is that sign (photo from internet).
.
The second rant on this Earth Day is another topic I have been over before and that is leaving trash on the trail. This happened yesterday at Sawnee Mountain Preserve. For those who don’t know Sawnee Mountain is a Forsyth County Park. Since it is not a remote mountain and the park is not too large it is well maintained. Because of that I don’t normally pack out other people trash just my own. Because unlike let’s say on the AT I guess I figure it will get picked up, which isn't cool on my part, but I do get tried of packing out trash when I am on the trail. 

It was that close to the trash can!

This sign is at Sawnee Mtn!

With that said, it is not the job of the people who maintain this lovely facility to go behind you and pick up your trash. I mean they even have a sign at both trailheads (Spot Road and Betis-Tribble Gap Road) not to litter. That brings me to what set me off. As I was leaving just past the statue of Sawnee there was a water bottle laying less than 100 feet from A TRASH CAN! I mean after hiking the 4+ miles you can’t make it the extra 50 feet (probably less since there is a trash can as you come off the trail) to dispose of your water bottle. I know there is a since of entitlement out there today which gives people the idea that “someone will pick it up,” but it is not the job of the park employees to wipe your ass! This is not even a pack it out questions, which you should always do, just put in the trash can that you passed! Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment