Monday, April 6, 2015

Wood Booger Top 5: Why I Love To Hike



I know a lot of people think I have lost might marbles the last
couple of years with my reconnecting with the outdoors and just wanting to live a simpler life in general. I always say that either something snapped or clicked (you make the judgment), but things that once mattered more don’t as much these days and other things take more priority. That is kind of the way it is with hiking. When I was growing-up I spent summers in the mountains of Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. Places like Clinch Mountain, High Knob and the Devils Bath Tub were part of my youth. Move ahead to my college days and there was hiking and camping at places as diverse as Buffalo Mountain, the Roan Highlands and the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. However, I will admit I did drift away from the outdoors, it wasn’t like I did like getting out I occasional did, but it wasn’t until I went to Switzerland and Mount Pilatus that I really started to long for the outdoors. That same year I visited the New River Gorge on the way back from Pittsburgh which added to the pull. Then I had some personal struggles the death of my Mom and Deb getting diagnosed with surgery for cervical cancer it just changed what I thought was important. Anyway, this Wood Booger Top 5 is on the Reason I Love to Hike.

Honorable Mention:  I can Do It with Deb & My Friends Unlike other pursuits I have had, like playing hockey (which I still love by the way), this is one that Deb and I can share. Now she does have her limits, Deb is a self-professed Day Hiker and has a six-mile limit. Still, we get out quite often and have even been to Blood Mountain together. It is also something I can do with some of my close friends. When I am in Tennessee Glen and I go out and I have even got out on the trail with Matt a few times which is cool.

Number 5:  Money – Now I am not going to say that hiking is totally free. Like any endeavor in a monetized system stuff cost money. There is equipment, some fees (like $5 at Georgia State Parks) and gas money spent to get to hikes. But unlike hockey, basketball or curling you don’t have to pay a league fee and there are plenty of hikes that don’t cost money (it is like a stick-time at Union Hill). Hiking just cost less money.



Number 4: Non-Competitive - Don’t get me wrong I have always like to compete, but I will be the first to admit that I can be overly competitive. So, now at my age I just want to do something less competitive and that is hiking. When you’re out the only person you are competing against is yourself.







Number 3: Meeting People – This was one I am actually surprised by. I will say that one of the things I most enjoyed about playing sports was a lot of the friends I made on my team and from other squads. Since hiking is more of a solo pursuit I didn’t think about meeting people. However, on the trail I have met numerous cool and interesting people. Oh, then there is my hiking group at Hike Georgia, who are a really great bunch.



Number 2: Exercise – While I didn’t start hiking to get in to shape it has been a welcome byproduct of hiking. Besides getting in the better physical condition I have also lost weight. When I started hiking again in earnest I was around 225 pounds, now two years later I am under 190. That is the lowest weight I have been at since I moved to Atlanta (1999). I am also in my best shape since the mid-90’s.







Number 1: Just Like Getting Out – While all the things I have described above have been benefits of hiking, the number one reason I wanted to get back out and I continue is just getting being in nature. Whether it is a mountain vistas, waterfall or some beautiful body of water getting out on the trail is what I love most about hiking. It is one of the reasons I don’t like to go out just to do miles or see how fast I can do a trail. I like to hike to get out and not make a competition out of it.There is also the sense of adventure of being on the trail, it is intoxicating.

No comments:

Post a Comment