Thursday, April 2, 2015

Even More Wonders At Woody Gap



There is no place on the Appalachian Trail (AT) that I have hiked from more than Woody Gap. I rated it my favorite major road gap in Georgia because hiking here one can find great hikes either north or south on the AT. So, for this week’s Hike Georgia outing I decided to expose my group to the wonders of Woody Gap.
Today’s hike went south on the AT to Gooch Gap. I have wanted to do this one for a while because I had seen it listed on Hike Georgia before, but for one reason or another I had gotten to do it. Well, I have done part of the hike the section to Ramrock Mountain about 1.5 miles (three miles out-and-back). So, there was another 2.5 miles out to Gooch Gap. Anyway, I had proposed this hike back in January, but it was a little cold that is when we did the one at Gold Branch instead. Then after my hike last week at Vogel State Park, Lori wanted one more hike before she went out for a few days on the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT).

After this hike on the Bear Hair Gap Trail we came up with this one...

...as warm-up for Lori's BMT hike.

On the way up I had to stop here...

...& the view of Blood Mountain.

As it happens after I put the hike up Lori had to cancel, but we still had a small group for the outing. It was me, Hike Georgia regular Mikki, John (who I had hiked with twice) and Paul. As we left out one of the first things I noticed up the trail was that a new wooden Woody Gap sign had been erected. Last November when I hiked out to Ramrock Mountain I had noticed that the Woody Gap part of the sign was gone. Not only was there a new Woody Gap sign, but the Cooper Gap one was replaced by one that gave the mileage to Gooch Gap, which is where we headed. 

Two of things that make Woody Gap great, the rock...

....& the vista.

Old sign...

...Woody Gap part gone last November...

...the new signs, notice the Cooper Gap has been replaced by Gooch.

Like I said above the first third of this hike I had done to Ramrock Mountain. We made good time out to here. The main thing that slowed us down was the number of thru-hikers we passed. There were all different kinds. Some that looked fresh, like they had just started and others looked like some of the SoBo’s I passed back in December at Rocky Mountain.  There was one group we passed that was spending their Spring Break hiking to raise money for their sister school in Africa, pretty cool. There was also a family we passed with their dog. I wished I had taken a picture of them and not just their dog. They had cotton sleeping bags and blankets; the gear looked heavy and let me say they better hope it doesn’t rain (which it did today).

Mikki on the trail.

Wood Booger spotted.

We passed a lot of thru-hikers on Tuesday.

SoBo from December...

...the student group on Tuesday.

The family dog at...

...Ramrock Mountain...

...it is a nice view.

Our group at Ramrock Mountain.

We stopped for a break at Ramrock Mountain, which has a nice view which is even better (like Tuesday) without leaf cover. What I didn’t know was about another half-mile south on the AT there is another outcrop. Let me tell you that it is not in any AT publications I have, which includes North Carolina-Georgia AT Guide and Dave “AWOL” Miller’s The A.T. Guide. It is located between Jacks Gap and Liss Gap but I have found no name for it. I am calling it Jacks Cliff Top and let me say it may be a better view than Ramrock Mountain and looks like it has no obstruction with leaf cover. Definitely check it out if you pass through there.

Headed up from Jacks Gap.

...to this...

...vista.

At the vista I named Jacks Cliff Top.

One last view.

While there is one more uphill from here the trail is a moderate hike with some relatively flat areas made it a pleasant hike. We finally reached our destination of Gooch Gap. One of the funny things is the discrepancy in mileage on the signs at Woody and Gooch. The noticeable older sign at Gooch Gap says 3.5 miles while the new one at Woody Gap reads four. In guides the number is usually 3.8, since the newest sign says four (and it sounds more impressive) that is the one I am going by.

Over a trail step-bridge.

Photo bombed...

...at Gooch Gap.

Sign at Gooch Gap says the hike is 3.5 miles...

...but at Woody Gap says four.

As for Gooch Gap itself it is a large spot where USFS 42 passes through and has ample parking. There is also a place to get water and plenty of campsites. However, one of the cool things I found at the gap was someone had carved a Black Bear into and old stump and an old man with an AT symbol into a dead tree. I hadn't seen any mention of these so I am going to assume that they are fairly new. Across the FS road, in a ditch, is another craving on an old log of a frog. I thought they were cool, but Deb said it was vandalism, you decide. So how ever you see these carvings they are defiantly worth a look if you are at Gooch Gap. 

At Gooch Gap is water...

....campsites...

...& parking.

Here are those cravings...

...the Black Bear on stump...

...the Old Man of the AT...

...& the frog.

Our group with the Old Man of the AT

The other thing going on was the U.S. Army Rangers were holding maneuvers. There was two military vehicles parked at the gap and we even heard what sounded like flash grenades going off.

Military at the gap.

After having lunch we headed back north on the AT. Like I mentioned earlier we passed, head-on, a number of thru-hikers as we headed south. Now going north we didn’t pass anybody going the opposite way but we did catch and pass some of the struggling thru-hikers. If you are a hiker going north (which most people are) there are three moderate uphill spots; the first out of Gooch Gap, then out of Liss Gap and the finally the one up Ramrock Mountain. The one up Ramrock is not as hard as coming up from the south, but it might seem like it if you have logged a lot of miles.

Catching a thru-hiker.

Some of the AT...

...trail...

...photos.

John & Paul on the trail.

While not too surprising, one of the pleasant things we encountered on the trail was the blooming of wildflowers. I spotted a number of the early spring flowers one will see. While there was no Spearleaf Violets I did spot Bloodroot, Star Chickweed, Purple Violets and Dwarf Cinquefoil. I also came across a number of Sweet Betsy’s (also called a Toadshade Trillium) getting ready to bust out. Also, just before we got back to Woody Gap we spotted a snake of the non-poisonous variety called an Eastern Ribbon Snake, which was cool.

Bloodroot...

....Star Chickweed...

...Purple Violet...

...Dwarf Cinquefoil...

...Sweet Betsy...

...I think a Plum Tree.

Eastern Ribbon Snake.

This hike took us around four hours, which was better than I thought we would and the possible rainy weather that some weather outlets had forecast had not come to pass gave me the idea to get in another short hike. I was thinking about heading up to the Black Mountain Fire Tower, which is about a mile. Then I ask the group if they had ever been to Preaching Rock? While John had been there before Mikki and Paul hadn’t so I decided to led them on the mile north on the AT to this wonderful spot, I mean how do you go to Woody Gap and not go to Preaching Rock. John, who had taken a fall right before we got back to Woody Gap decided his day, was done. So, the remaining three in the group headed up Big Cedar Mountain.

Back at Woody Gap.

Where we didn't go...

...where we did.

Headed up Big Cedar Mountain.

Evil Dead Tree.

This was my seventh trip up the mountain, but let me say I never tire of it. It is always cool to introduce new people to such a beautiful spot and Mikki and Paul were more than impressed. It was also fun to see some of the thru-hikers (some we had already met earlier in the day) marvel at the view from Preaching Rock. 

1st Outcrop...

...2nd Outcrop...

...vista at...

...Preaching Rock.

Anyway, I didn’t take them to the second outcrop because it was getting late, starting to cloud up and we had done nine miles by this point and had a mile back to Woody Gap. Also, I need to go by Mountain Crossing at Neel Gap, which was an extra 20 miles, so we headed back. Overall, it was a great day of hiking, but it always is when you take in the wonders of Woody Gap.

Maybe next time?

Just noticed that the old Chestatee WMA sign was replaced...

...by this one.

Headed on GA 180 toward Vogel S.P....

...& Mountain Crossing at Walasi-yi.

My recreation of the AT Calendar March photo.



 Woody Gap Trail Ratings

Wood Booger
Pete











Big Cedar Mountain
My Take:
For Difficulty – 2 ½ Stars
For Trail Conditions – 4 Stars
For Views – 4 ½ Stars
For Solitude – 1 Stars
Overall – The most famous hike here is to go north on the AT from Woody Gap up Big Cedar Mountain. It is a good hike and switchbacks its way up at a mile you come to why this is popular, Preaching Rock. This is a great vista, but if you are in for a little more effort there is smaller (but less crowed) outcrop about half-mile north at a trail fork. It is a camping spot and I almost got bit by a rattlesnake when I was recently. Preaching Rock is very popular, especially on the weekends, so if you want a little solitude try hiking to the other outcrop.
Pete’s Take:
For Difficulty – 1 ½ Rabbits Paws
For Trail Conditions – 5 Rabbits Paws
For Views – 4 Rabbits Paws
For Solitude – 0 Rabbits Paws for Preaching Rock; 3 Rabbits Paws For Big Cedar Vista  
Overall – While not the hardest trail it is the AT so that gives it points. Because Woody Gap is one of the easiest spots to get to and the hike up Big Cedar Mountain is not the hardest means Preaching Rock can get crowded. However, the Big Cedar Vista doesn’t see near the traffic so that is why it is the best.

The Ramble To Ramrock Mountain & Gooch Gap
My Take:
For Difficulty –3 ½ Stars
For Trail Conditions – 4 Stars on AT
For Views –3 Stars To Ramrock Mtn.; 3 ½ Stars For Jacks Cliff Top  
For Solitude –2 Stars To Ramrock Mtn.; 4 Stars To Black Mtn. Fire Tower
Overall – As I explained above this is a nice day hike. I have done the hike to Ramrock Mountain three times now and it is moderate difficulty. The added uphill and distance adds some to the overall hike out to Gooch Gap. Like I said above, the Jacks Cliff Top vista maybe better than the view back at Ramrock Mountain.
Pete’s Take :
For Difficulty – 2 ½ Rabbits Paws
For Trail Conditions – 5 Rabbits Paws
For Views – 3 Rabbits Paws
For Solitude – 1 Rabbits Paws
Overall – I loved this hike it had uphill climbs and some distance. You know what that means…the Lummox was crying and whining, but I loved it. Being the AT trail conditions are top notch. Since it was thru-hiking season it is busy, the only bad thing was I locked eyes with a snot nosed brat, boy I hate kids!

Black Mountain Fire Tower 
My Take:

For Difficulty –3 Stars
For Trail Conditions –4 Stars To Black Mtn. Fire Tower
For Views –4 Stars To Black Mtn. Fire Tower
For Solitude –4 ½ Stars To Black Mtn. Fire Tower
Overall – While it has been 16 months since I did this hike it is easy to remember.  Since it is all road bed that means the trail condition is good, but there is no switch backing, but the mile up is not too difficult. While one can’t access the fire tower, the vista is still amazing from the outcrop. The day we were there the only other person we saw was a deer.
Pete’s Take:

For Difficulty – 2 Rabbits Paws
For Trail Conditions – 5 Rabbits Paws
For Views – 4 Rabbits Paws
For Solitude – 4 Rabbits Paws
Overall – While I like trail better than road bed, it not because for the lack of switchbacks the Lummox always complains when he has to hike straight up. The view was great and so was the solitude, like the Lummox said the only other soul we spotted was a deer…nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment