Friday, April 24, 2015

What Says Spring More Than Waterfalls & Wildflowers

Yesterday, I just wanted to get out and what better way than to visit one of my favorite waterfalls, Cane Creek Falls. I did a more comprehensive blog here, but Cane Creek Falls is located on the grounds of Glisson Camp and Retreat just a few miles from downtown Dahlonega.
It is one of Georgia’s best waterfalls and easily accessible ones too. This was my third visit and it never disappoints. The previous two trips had been in the autumn, so I was interested in a making a spring trip to the falls. Let me say I wasn’t disappointed, compared to the fall the water flow over the falls was striking. I guess with all the recent rain it was to be expected, but yesterday the water roared over the falls, it was an awesome sight. At the base of the falls, I tried to get a better look I finally decided to try and cross-over to this sandbar that sat right in front of the falls. Someone had put rocks across to it, so I said why not. Anyway, one of the rocks shifted and my boots were in the creek. While my Merrell Moab’s were once waterproof after two years and many miles not as much so now. While I had wet boots it was a better view of the falls. I was so close that I got mist from where the water hits the bottom of the falls…nice!
In addition to the beauty of the falls there were an abundance of wildflowers in the area.  They ranged from Robin’s Plantain, Catesby’s Trillium, Phlox, a number of violets, and an assortment of azaleas. However, the most surprising was a number of Flaming Azaleas (including the yellow variety). Normally one will find these from mid-May into June, depending on the elevation, but they are always nice to see. So enjoy these photos and videos at the falls.


Dahlonega where you find...

...Glisson Camp & Resort Center.

First a stop at the Welcome Center...

...then head toward the falls.

One of the Orange Flaming Azaleas.

...& a lot of them.


Information board at the 2nd trailhead.

Looking over the Top of the Falls to the bridge at its base.

Looking over the top of the falls, there is a trail to that bank on the other side.

Cane Creek Falls rumbles down.




Robin's Plantain.

Pink Azalea.

Red Azalea.

You can reach the falls by a road...

...or a side trail.

The side trail down.

Cane Creek Falls (that sandbar is where my boots got wet).

The falls in October 2013...

...& Thursday, notice the difference in water flow.



WIth the falls.

The bridge across Cane Creek.

On the sandbar (with wet boots).



What a beautiful waterfall.



One more look.



Headed up toward the other top of the falls...

...is green blaze.

Phlox.

Looking across to the view deck.

This side of the top.




Using my selfie stick.

Headed back across the creek.

Yellow Flaming Azalea.


Catesby's Trillium.

Wild Geranium.



While Cane Creek Falls was the first half of the day, I still had a little more hiking to do as I stopped by Lake Zwerner. I had also hiked this back in September, on the same day I did Cane Creek Falls, unlike that trip I went here last. It is just over 3.6 miles around which I planned to do. But, if you remember above I had soaked my feet at Cane Creek Falls, so I knew there was a good chance I wouldn't complete the loop. Because of that I started from the parking area near the spillway, just like in seven months ago. The best part of this hike goes counter-clockwise across the dam and spillway. It then passes a nice view of the lake and past a picnic pavilion and a covered kiosk with map. I hike on out past the fishing pond, which I hiked fishing trails around this time. It was about this time that my feet started to not feel right so I headed back doing about two miles.
Like at Canes Creek Falls I spotted a number of wildflowers.This would be the second time I would see some, these included Flaming Azaleas, Robin’s Plantain and Catesby’s Trillium but others I only spotted here like Dwarf Crested Iris and Hedge Nettle. Lake Zwerner is always a good place for wildflowers just check out my September blog. So below are photos from my day out here.


Second half of my hike.

Panorama of the lake.

Water was flowing over the spillway.

Some of the trail was roadbed.

Hedge Nettle.

Yellow Wood Sorrell.

Another view of the lake.

The bridge over the spillway.

The kiosk with...

...a map.

Purple Violet.

Dwarf Crested Iris.

Green & Gold.

Star Chickweed.

From the other side of the fishing pond.

Headed on the trail.

Catesby's Trillium.

Orange Flaming Azalea.

More Robin's Plantain.

No comments:

Post a Comment