Thursday, July 9, 2015

Cook-Outs, Fireworks, Waterfalls & Rain...Just Another 4th Of July Weekend

This past weekend was July 4th and that means cook-outs, fireworks and this year waterfalls. The holiday weekend began with what has now become a yearly tradition where I accompany Glen to his family’s annual cook-out and fireworks in Roan Mountain on Friday (July 3rd).  I have been going up for a few years now and have been treated to good food (especially the grilled chicken) and fireworks. What is fun about the fireworks is I get to help shoot them off, which is always better than just watching. This year however I got to not only help with lighting the fireworks, but also buy them. Glen and I headed to one of those tents where the sell fireworks in Greeneville. It was here that we bought the small pack of mortars that came in a green military looking box and was called Maximum Load. It was also here that we found this crazy looking one called the Frog Prince. 

Clouds on Camp Creek Bald.

Our first fireworks stop.


The second half of our shopping spree was at another tent stand across from Chuckey Doak High School. It was here that we found the large box fireworks that didn’t have fancy packaging, but were just in brown paper wrapping, we figured they must be good. Now we didn’t get all brown wrappers ones we also got some with fancy designs. I was looking at one with a skull and then spotted this other box which had a nuclear explosion on the side and ablaze with the words Death Rattle…I looked at Glen and said we got to get this one.

Fire works at our second stop.

Ready for the night.


While getting fireworks we faced what would be a running theme for the weekend, rain. While getting drinks it rained, getting fireworks it rained again. Oh, and the wet stuff continued on and off all the way to Roan Mountain. When we got up there it was coming down in buckets, but it didn’t disused us from the second bonus of the day and that was a trip to Elk River Falls. Even though these falls are in North Carolina I found out about it in a book about Tennessee waterfalls. It is located about six miles from Roan Mountain near the town of Elk Park. The waterfall itself sets about half-mile from the state line, so when I asked Glen about them he was very familiar with the falls, having visited them many times, including for his high school senior pictures.

Bridge over...

...the Elk River...

...heading to the falls.


So, we decided to head over to them, even though it was raining pretty hard. We did worry a little about flooding, but when we reached the first bridge crossing the Elk River; it looked at a normal level, so we pushed on. When we reached the small parking area, to my surprise it was almost full. We waited a few minutes, but the rain didn’t relent, so we decided to head up anyway, but one good thing about the rain it gave me a chance to test my rain pants. The trail out is about 3/10 of a mile and let me say it was soupy. The first view of the falls is from the top. Not all waterfalls provide easy access to the top, but this was one of the better views as one can walk out for a bird’s eye view not just of the cascading water, but the valley below. Because of the easy access, it also lends to the possibility of jumping from the rocky ledge 45 feet down to the large pool that sits at the base of the falls.

Trail up.

Top of the falls...



...& valley below



Glen asked if I would jump off, which I responded not even when I was 20. I then ask him if he ever had and he said…no. But, on YouTube I discovered a number of examples of people who have done the plunge…not even downing a six-pack would I do it. Anyway, we headed down as most do by trail to the long rock outcrop which gives a wonderful look at the falls. This plunging waterfall cuts through the rock and is an impressive sight. One good thing the pouring rain provided was great water flow. Like I said earlier, the base of the falls has a large pool that is popular with swimmers, even on this rainy day a guy and girl were taking a dip. Even with the rain it was well worth the trip down.

Elk River Falls.



Closer look.

Yes it was raining!

Elk River Falls panorama.

Headed back up.


Elk River.

Water and rhododendrons.


Rosebay Rhododendron.


Small falls.

Headed back down...

...but had to cross a small stream.


Headed back to Tennessee.

Old Cordell Grocery.

Cows.

Hump Mountain.


As luck would have it as we headed back up the rain slowed and then stopped, with the sun even peeking out. One bonus around the waterfall was blooming Rosebay Rhododendrons, I spotted a few of the in the Smokies, but here a large number were in bloom which was nice. We were hoping the rain would hold off and when we arrived at Glen’s mom’s house and it did, until the food was ready. Again, as luck would have as soon as the food was ready it started to rain. Now we were prepared as there were tarps ready to cover the spread and Glen had brought a Canopy Tent which did keep some of us out of the rain (everyone else sat on Phyllis's porch). 

Yum, yum!

We did get some good luck as night fell as the rain slacked off, giving us a window to light up the sky. A lot of the kids that were there were already shooting off some Roman Candles and other little stuff, so when we broke out the Maximum Load we let them light some of the mortars (under strict supervision).  Most of the fireworks we picked turned out to be winners. The Death Rattle was great and the ones in the brown wrappers were awesome too. Even the Frog Prince turned out to be a winner; it was another great night of fireworks!

Started with Roman Candles...

Then we moved on to this...

...& this.


The weekend wasn’t half over as it was time for the Fourth of July. For Saturday I was keeping it low key, and decided just to cook-out in St. Clair with Deb, Terry and Dad. We decided to have the standard fair of hamburgers and hot dogs. But this Wood Booger decided to add a twist as Dad and I had elk burgers, and yes they were good. One thing was the same as Friday and that was rain. It rained off and on, but at one point the sun came out, but then when I was about to fire up the grill it started spitting the wet stuff. I looked out and it seemed to be clearing to the west and Deb says the Weather Channel was showing it moving out, but 20 minutes later it was still raining. Then I checked on the weather outside and the sun was out, but it was still raining. Anyway, I have had enough, putting on my rain gear and firing up the grill.

Flower with Bumble Bee.

Deb gets things ready...

...& I do the grilling.

It finally did stop and cleared out somewhat, and I was able to finish grilling and it turned out to be a good dinner after all. The break in the weather allowed me to do something I love and that is building a fire. Since I wasn't shooting off fireworks (they bother Daisy) a little caveman TV was the next best thing. Since it was really damp it did test my fire making skills, but I was able to get it going. My Dad joined me by the fire and we sat and listened to fireworks going off all around us. Because the house in St. Clair kind of sets in a bowl we didn't get to see many, but we did view some across the way from the people on the hill shooting theirs off. My Dad watched them through is eyelids. Overall it was a nice Fourth of July.

Fourth of July fire.

My Dad enjoys the fire in his own way.

Stoking the fire.

The end to this great American holiday ended on a high note on Sunday as the U.S. Women's Soccer Team bombed Japan 5-2 to win the World Cup. I thought the U.S. women would win, but not like this. There was also that crazy race in Daytona that, because of rain, started just before midnight and didn't end until almost 3am with that crazy wreck where Austin Dillon tore down the catch fence, injuring five spectators, what a crazy way to end of a nice, but rainy July holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment