Sunday, July 26, 2015

Hot Day Of Hiking In Hot Springs

Since it is my birthday weekend  (technically tomorrow) I decided I needed to get out on the trail. I will admit, because of this and that, I just haven't been getting out to hike how I would like. So, with a nice day Sunday I was getting out for a birthday hike, come hell or high water. Also, since Deb was going I didn't want to go craz on difficulty. With that I decided that we would hike the Appalachian Trail (AT) to Lovers Leap above Hot Springs,  it is a spot I have wanted to do for a while. If you have never been to Hot Springs it is a little trail community in the mountains of North Carolina about 30 miles south of Greeneville. The AT heads right down Main Street (they have AT logos in the sidewalk ). I have been to Hot Springs twice before but this was Deb's first time. Anyway, we parked in the public lot in town and hiked the AT across the bridge over the French Board River. The AT then headed about four-tenths of a mile long the river, which had some lovely views including a small, wide rapids, before heading up toward Lovers Leap. While steep, this half-mile of the AT switchbacked a lot. It was narrow and rocky, but there are a couple of views before making it to Lovers Leap. Here there are two different outcrops that provide views of the French Board River, the North Carolina Mountains and Hot Springs, it is wonderful! While it was clear which made the views nice it was hot. Even at almost 3,000 feet it was stifling. Well, since we were doing the short loop we headed down the Silvermine Trail. It is steeper than the AT as it doesn’t switchback a lot. We avoid disaster coming down as Deb slipped on some gravel on the trail. She was OK, but it could have been a lot worse. Being a non-AT trail it is not very well maintained, but we found our way back to the Silvermine parking area and the AT. Once back in Hot Springs we walked through town and visited some shops, including Bluff Mountain Outfitters were I got my last raised relief map. I think Deb liked Hot Springs, but I think we will go back when it is a little cooler. Oh, once I got back to St. Clair I built myself a birthday fire...nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment