Tuesday, September 12, 2017

An AT Section & A Birding Park Highlight This Week Down The Rabbit Hole


Pete here and after a week of hiking I am back for another Down the Rabbit Hole. Now let's get the first outing of the week out of the way as it barely counts as a hike at Seven Islands State Birding Park

Seven easy...I mean Islands.

Now don't get me wrong it was nice, there was a view of Mount LeConte (just made me wish I was there) and the French Broad River. The only thing that separated this trail from a greenway is there not paved, oh forgot some of it was. Anyway, at least I didn't have to carry the Big Lummox, except for the time he almost slipped in the river.
Just made me want to be there!

I saw the same river last week.

I told you so...

Me, after a day with the Big Lummox!

Okay, it is time for the main event the AT (Appalachian Trail) hike from Tanyard Gap to Allen Gap. Being on the AT...win, finishing a section...bigger win! While I didn't hear whining out of the Lummox on Wednesday, that sure wasn't the case on Saturday. 

Why do I bother?

Water for me, but not the Lummox.

First, it was the Rich Mountain Fire Tower being "closed." I tried to get the Lummox to climb the tower, but he is a big chicken. 

At the tower...

...I told the Lummox I would pull him up...wuss!

Then it was "the trail was too hard going uphill" and then "too steep" going down. Don't get me started about his knees as he endlessly complained about them. The concern wasn't the Lummox's knees, but my back, because I carried him up and down the trail! 

At Hurricane Gap...

...on an AT log...

...at the shelter.

Even though carrying the Big Lummox was back breaking work it was more than worth it to finish this AT section.


No comments:

Post a Comment