Friday, September 8, 2017

Starting Autumn Out At Seven Islands State Birding Park


On Wednesday, I tried a new place to start the 2017 Fall Hiking Series, Seven Islands State Birding Park near Kodiak.
I had heard about this place and I get cool updates from the park on Instagram, since it is not too far from me I decided to give it a try.

Entrance sign.

View from boat ramp...

...the main parking area...

...park map...

...hiking trail entrance at Bluebird Barn.

I hiked some of the main trails like Upland Loop Trail, Seven Islands Loop Trail, River Trail and Secluded Bend Trail. These trails past barns, old house and some caves. There is even a nice view of Mount LeConte, but the best views are of the French Broad River. My last hike took me above it, but this one was down to its banks. 

The bottom floor of Bluebird Barn...

...top half.

Start of the Upland Loop Trail...

...nice & wide.

Mount LeConte sign...

...& view.

Park has good trail signs.

Another great view.

The trail here passes...

... a path to...

...Schumpert Pond.

Heading toward the French Broad.

Heading on Seven Islands Loop Trail...

...to...

...River Islands Trail...

...on it cool Fungis Tree...

...& this cave...

...inside...

...at the end this view of some of Seven Islands.

Another pond...

...the other side.

A deer crossing to one of the Seven Islands.

French Broad River.

Cave on a cliff.

I think it is Muskrat tracks.

Headed to...

Seclusion Bend...

...passing the Maple Leaf Barn.

The Kelly Lane Greenway...

...passes Green House...

...it's porch.

Some views.

...Back to Bluebird Barn.

While it is a birding park (which I spotted a few) on this day it more about wildflowers, which were in abundance. I hiked about half the park at around four miles. Overall this park was a pleasant surprise.

Passion Flower.

Field Thistle.

Iron Weed.

?

?

Bumblebee on Autumn Sneezeweed.

Maximilian's Sunflower.



No comments:

Post a Comment