Friday, September 1, 2017

Hiking & Hauling A Lummox Just Another Week Down The Rabbit Hole


What better way to start off fall than with a trip with me Pete...Down the Rabbit Hole. While this week's edition is only one hike it felt like three. Yes, I only had to carry one person this week but I had close to a mile-and-a-half of dead weight to haul up from Paint Rock, but I digress.
The Big Lummox and I decided to head back to the Weaver's Bend area to complete a hike that the Lummox tapped out of last November. We made it up to Chimney Rocks and I wanted to head down to Paint Rock, but he was still recovering from a sinus infection, so I cut him some slack. That wasn't the case Tuesday as it was Paint Rock or bust. The first part was too bad as we headed up the Chimney Rocks Trail. 

Back in November...

...& me in August.

The Lummox only complained once or twice, but that was about to change.  I knew I was in trouble when he was whining going downhill! We got to Paint Rock and it was pretty cool, but I spotted a side trail to the top so a dragged the Lummox kicking and screaming up the gently sloped trail. Once he took his pictures and ate lunch (I don't need to eat just hike) my work really began. 

Paint Rock...

...the easy trail up...

...at the top...

...I wanted to climb down this way!

I think the rating of the Paint Rock Trail is moderate and this wasn't too far off the mark (if not a little high for a hiker of my level).  However when you have to carry 200 pounds of dead weight...no dead weight would have been better as it doesn't cry and moan for 1.3 miles. I don't know what is harder carrying two people on an easier trail or the Lummox on this one. Anyway, once at the top and after the Lummox finally woke up after passing out we headed from the Chimney Rocks to the car. I will say I was excited to see some fall colors because I love autumn hiking. Don't get me wrong the weather doesn't bother me, but Easter is not even in the thoughts of people so it is a win. 

The moderate trail back.

Fall colors!

After that I let him have his little drive to the Meadow Creek Tower. If it would have been my decision we would have hiked it, but the Lummox is just a girly man so we drove.

Back at the river.


No comments:

Post a Comment