Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Nine Months Later I Finally Make It To Paint Rock


Tuesday, I decided to complete a hike that I did part of last November Weaver's Bend to Paint Rock just inside Cocke County. I had done most of this hike nine months back from the trailhead at Weaver's Bend to Chimney Rocks and the junction of the Paint Mountain and Paint Rock Trails. I wrote a more in-depth blog in November so I will talk about the part of the trail I decided not to do nine months ago.











I am glad I didn't because the trail rating of moderate is a joke. Maybe it is moderate going down, but it is very steep Middle Springs Ridge Trail Steep. On the toughest stretch, it was rugged which made the trip down slow going at times. I will say there were some nice views and some autumn leaves as fall is literally right around the corner.







Finally, I made it to the road where a sign points straight across a bridge over Paint Creek. Then to the left in a bend in the road is Paint Rock. It is an impressive cliff which people have graffitied.




However, the best part, there was a very steep, sketchy trail to the top of Paint Rock with some awesome views of the French Broad River. Once I enjoyed lunch and vistas it time for the long, steep hike back up the Paint Creek Trail.





This was 1.3 miles that resembled the Baaten Death March. Well, maybe not that bad or as bad as the Low Gap Trail out of Cosby in the Smokies, but it was steep. Especially, the middle section, let me say I was so glad to see the three blazes at Chimney Rocks.





After that, the trail was downhill back to Weaver's Bend Trailhead, where I went past a killer campsite for a great view of the river and the rail bridge.








I finished the day by driving to Meadow Creek Tower. This was my second trip here as I hiked to it in January of 2016.




No comments:

Post a Comment