Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Before Heat Miser Returns...A Snow Adventures, This Time To Rich Mountain


This has been another Winter dominated by Heat Miser. So, before he returns I decided, Sunday, to look for a place his brother held sway for a Snow Adventure at Rich Mountain.
There is a line this Winter between where the snow is and where it isn't. Unfortunately, I live on the wrong side of the line, but luckily I can go to places above that line like the Roans, Camp Creek Bald (the Camp) or Rich Mountain.



However, I was split on where to go. It was either to the Camp or Tanyard Gap. I didn't see a lot of snow in the mountains that weren't obscured by clouds. So, when I started up towards Allen Gap I saw some snow, but not too much. That is when I decided to risk it and head towards Jones Meadow. 
Two years ago I tried to go up there on Halloween but didn't make it too the top. I thought "if I couldn't make it I could always go to Tanyard Gap." However, that decision was made for me as at the junction with Greene Mountain Road was a road closed sign... decision made.




It was a beautiful drive with snow and rime ice in the trees, so I wasn't too disappointed. When I got to Tanyard Gap there was a good amount of snow around and with the wind blowing it was chilly. Also, there was only one other vehicle at the parking area. I point this out because it will come up later.








I love this part of the Appalachian Trail (AT) and have done this hike many times, but it did bring back memories of my first time up to the fire tower in 2013 as that one had snow too. It was a beautiful hike up as there was plenty of snow, but I could see once I got into the Sun it had gradually started to melt.













As I got closer to the top it got windy. By the time I reached the trail junction of the AT and the refurbished fire tower, I had to put my gloves back on. Once I went up to the tower it was very windy and cold.
One of the good things about it being windy and cold, it makes the views better. The snow on them made it even better...in fact, it might have been the best views from up here I have experienced. Another great thing was that I had it to myself for the 45 minutes I stayed at the summit (I had passed two people on my way up).













Just as I started down I ran into three people, but this was to become a trend. On the 2.5 miles back to Tanyard Gap I passed at least 11 more people and seven dogs hiking up...good reason to head out early. 
The reason people were coming out of the woodwork was it started to warm-up the further down the mountain I got. Unfortunately, with it, the snow started to disappear. It is amazing how much snow can melt in 1-to-3 hours. By the time I got back to Tanyard Gap, it was mostly gone. It was replaced by a parking lot full of cars ( which explains all the people on the trail).











I finished the day with stops in Hot Springs and Laurel River Store, for coffee. I then stopped to see how much water was pouring over the Nolichucky Dam.







No comments:

Post a Comment