Thursday, August 13, 2015

Chimney Tops, Laurel Falls & The John Ownby Cabin...Just Another Day In The GSMNP

Today was a full day in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park  (GSMNP). I was originally going to head to the Smokies yesterday but for various reasons I decided to go out today. My first destination was Chimney Tops. This has been one of the places in the park I have wanted to hike for a while. Before I reached the trailhead for the way up I stopped at the overlook which gives a good look at where I was headed. It was early when I arrived at the trailhead (around 8:30am) which means I got a good parking spot. The first half of the hike is not too bad, but the back side is pretty tough. It is steep climb for almost a mile, one spot I called the "Stairway to Heaven," before arriving at the base of the Chimney Tops. There is a sign when you arrive (and also at the trailhead) that informs you of a climb to reach the top. This is more rock climbing than hiking and it is a little sketchy climbing to the top. When you reach it the view is spectacular!  Up there you will notice another peak below that is the other Chimney. While I will blog more about this later, listen to the books and this Wood Booger just enjoy the view and let the fools head over there. Anyway, one sore head later I headed down, some say it was easier going up, but not me. Once down one good thing, while steep the trail is downhill.  I will say this was one of the hardest trails I have ever hiked. My next stop was Laurel Falls. The hardest part of this hike was finding a place to park. Located on Little River Road headed toward Cades Cove it is a popular hiking spot. Maybe because the hike is a 2.5 mile out and back on a paved trail (but because of where I parked it was more like three). Compared to the Chimneys it was a breeze, but I was a little tired. The waterfall is an eighty footer, but the trail passes in between the tiers of the falls.  The upper part is 30 to 35 feet and so is the lower half. While a beautiful waterfall unfortunately today it had low water flow. Just about back to the trailhead someone said there was a snake. When I looked low and behold it was a Copperhead. My final stop was at the Sugarlands Visitors Center. After buying some souvenirs (and bear spray) I decided to hike the Fighting Creek Nature Trail.  I had done the one-mile out and back to Cataract Falls, twice. However, I haven't done the 1.2 mile loop that is highlighted by the John Ownby Cabin. While not hard it is a nice hike. I finished the day with a beer and a bath...nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment