Friday, March 3, 2017

Wood Booger Top 5: Best Hikes of WinterOutdoors '16-17


It never really felt like winter this season, except for the fact of WinterOutdoors '16-17. Now that the calendar has changed and Meteorological Spring is here it's time to review the Top 5 Hikes of WinterOutdoors'16-17. Just like with HikeSummer '16 and the 2016 Fall Outdoor Series, I am limiting this to solo hikes, because, like I said before, I hate to rate hikes I do with groups. The reason is that, only in extreme cases, I like all of these groups I hike with. So, those will be among the Honorable Mentions and the Top 5, like I said, will be solo. Anyway, with that said here is the Wood Booger Top 5: Best Hikes of WinterOutdoors '16-17.

Honorable Mention 1: HBG Sierra Club Hikes In Cades Cove & House Mountain (Dec.31, 2016 & Jan. 31, 2017) - There are not many groups better to hike with than the Harvey Broome Group Chapter of the Sierra Club. I have met some great people and have become friends with a number of members. Oh, it doesn't hurt that their policies, goals, and politics are more aligned with my own. Anyway, the first hike was an off-trail scramble in Cades Cove, which included visits to Gregory's Cave and the Pearl Harbor Tree. There was a bonus hike out of Tremont to Spruce Flat Falls. The second was at a spot I had wanted to hike for some time, the high point of Knox County, House Mountain. Both of these were excellent hikes.

Honorable Mention 2: It Was Too Cold For The Devil On A Winter
Day To Shelton Graves (Dec. 10, 2016) - This second group hike was a joint outing between the Johnson City Hiking Club and the Mid-Appalachian Highlands Club. I am a member of the Johnson City Hiking Club, but I hadn't hiked with them in almost a year (January of 2016). This was the first time I had ever hiked with the Mid-Appalachian Club. It was a cold, long day (the hike was over a mile long than advertised) but good day. I got to see the Flint Mountain Shelter and finally got to Shelton's Graves.

Honorable Mention 3: Making the World Better For Hiking At Natural Tunnel (Feb. 5, 2017) - This outing with another group one as I am a member of the Clinch Coalition (TCC). I first had work to do making the Southwest Virginia Mountains safe for hiking at TCC Board of Directors retreat at Natural Tunnel State Park. After the business was some pleasure as we took a group hike up Cove Ridge for some great views from the Gazabo. However, I wasn't done because I had to get a look at the namesake of the park...Natural Tunnel. Let's just say it is a Wonder of the Natural World!

Honorable Mention 4: A Little Ice & Snow In The Smokies Before Heat
Miser Reigns (Jan. 10, 2017) - This one is not really a group hike, but it was one I did with Deb. It was a hike we have done before, on the Gatlinburg Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, but not with ice and snow. Because of this we cut the hike short and went out to Cataract Falls. I then concluded the hike with a trip out to John Ownby Cabin. It was also special because it was the first time I hiked this area and returned to Gatlinburg since the Chimneys 2 Fire.

Number 5: What Better Time For A Yuletide Hike Than On The Winter Solstice Above Watauga Lake (Dec. 21, 2016) - This was a tough one but this hike across the Appalachian Trail (AT) on Vandeventer Ridge of Iron Mountain to the Vandeventer Shelter just beat out my outings to High Rocks and Chesota. I will admit the main reason was the Vandeventer Hike was in December and I wanted one on the list. Don't get me wrong it was a great hike and is not out of place on the list, but these two hikes were pretty even.

Number 4: Winter Provided A Glorious Return To Bays Mountain Park (Jan. 25, 2017) - This outing was a surprise since I first went to Bays Mountain Park in July of 2014 and that hike was so, so. On this day it might have been the season since it was winter and that meant fewer people or the weather ( it was oppressively hot in 2014, fantastic in 2017). But whatever the reason this was a great hike. For the views from the old fire tower (better than '14) to the great ridge trail, it was just better. Even the view of the dam was nicer as there was a lot more water come over the spillway. It was an excellent day.

Number 3: Over The Dam & Thru The Woods AT Watauga Lake I Go (Jan. 15, 2017) - This was another hike I had done most of before, as I had hiked from Shook Branch to Watauga Dam also in July of 2014. That was a memorable hike in 2014 (for a number of reasons), but one was the weather. On this hike, in January, was also special because of the weather, but this time because it was spectacular! I also added over a mile on the AT as I hiked from the dam to Iron Mountain Gap (see Number 5). Then on the way back, I decided to hiked to the Watauga Lake Visitors Center, which was closed for winter. Overall, this was a great 10 miles.

Number 2: It Was A Max Day On "The Patch" (Feb. 24, 2017) - So, I guess it is time for the heavyweight hikes. Max Patch is always a highlight, but on this day doubly so as the weather was glorious for a winter day. Add to that not a lot of people on the summit (I was the first one in the parking area), which meant I didn't really see a lot of people until I was leaving. Oh, I also got to stroll down the AT to visit the Roaring Fork Shelter and I headed up over Buckeye Ridge for some more great views. However, the main event was Max Patch as the vistas were just awesome. Finally, I then finished the day in in Hot Springs. Any normal season this hike would have been at the top, but there is another heavyweight to come...

Number 1: I Found Snow Miser On the Roan Highlands (Feb. 17, 2017) - I will say as soon as I stepped out of the car and saw the snow at Carvers Gap that this was going to be one of those special days...and it was. I mean there are not too many places I enjoying hiking more than the Roan Highlands. From winding through the snowy evergreens below Round Bald and the great views once at its summit. Having to get at my Yak Traks not once, or twice, but three times just added the awesomeness of this outing. Having a more incredible view from Jane and Grassy Ridge Balds was another huge plus. Not even slipping and breaking one of my fingers could keep ruin this hike. As much as I love Max Patch, there was no way a snow hike on the Roans could have been anywhere else than Number One! I mean this one rivaled my hike during the rhododendron season last June.


No comments:

Post a Comment