Saturday, March 18, 2017

No Leprechaun, But I found A Druken Goat & Felt The Power Of Sexual Chocolate At The Label


As witnessed by the lack of activity on the blog, the crappy weather this week has kept me off the trail. However, if I can't hike I can eat (and drink) and that is what I did Friday, on St. Patrick's Day at the Label in Johnson City.
I had seen the Label before, when I was downtown, but it was my dental hygienist who told me that it was a really good place to eat, especially the hamburgers and sushi (I know an odd combo), so that is where we decided to head on St. Patty's Day. I will say that the decor is really nice inside, but with any restaurant, it is about the food.



We came for lunch and since burgers were one of their specialties that was the direction I went. On their site, they say that they freshly ground their meat daily with a combination of chuck and tenderloin. The Label has its buns made locally by Rosenbaum Bakery in Elizabethton. So, with that in mind, my choice was easy as I went with the Drunken Goat Burger. With a name like that, you know this burger would have goat cheese, but the drunken part comes from the Buffalo Trace Bourbon Blackberry Jam. Yes, I said bourbon blackberry jam it might sound strange, but it works better than you might think. It was topped off with mixed greens and smoked bacon and I will say this strange combination was one of the better burgers I had in some time (right up there with the ones I had at Farm Burger in Asheville). As my side, I got the sweet potato fries, but these were different than most I have had because these were waffle fries. Let me just say these were really, really good on par with the burger itself.


With a place called the label, I had to have something special to drink and that is what I got. First, was the beer I had with my meal it was a brew I had wanted to try for some time the Foothills Sexual Chocolate. I heard about this beer a few years back, but every time Bruisin Ales, in Asheville, would get any in they sold out quickly. As for this side of the mountain, I have never seen it in any store. Hell, we didn't even get it at total wine in Atlanta, so I spotted it on the beer list I jumped at the chance to have it. Let me say it was well worth the wait I felt like Mark Henry after I drank it (wrestling fans will get this reference).



Then for dessert instead of the usually sweet treat, I went a different direction getting a shot of Macallan 10-year single malt scotch. For those who don't know I love single malt scotch (my favorite spirit) and this was a great way to finish an excellent meal. I will definitely make a return visit...maybe for some sushi.




No comments:

Post a Comment