Thursday, March 2, 2017

The Hits & Misses of Making Maple Syrup


As, from the Live Blog earlier today, I decided on today to boil down the sap I had collected and make Maple Syrup. As I chronicled last year here I made Maple Syrup for the first time and was pretty succusful. Well that was last year, so let me just illiterate up front, our two big Sugar Maples didn't produce near the sap as 2016 and the quality wasn't as good. I even started earlier this year, but with the drought in the fall and the lack of winter, I just didn't get the production. I guess I will need to start a lot earlier next year. Anyway, I got about a gallon and a half of sap and while that might sound like a lot, when you figure it takes two gallons of sap to make a cup...yes I am not going to get a lot. 




I used the fire pit at the house with the modifications I make, which this year included concert blocks. Like I said previously wood is one of the cheapest forms of heat one can use for cooking down sap as a pointed out before (see here...again). 



After cooking all-day at about the five-hour mark I transferred the pot to the NuWave Induction Cooktop as I can control the heat better and before you know it I had made Maple Syrup. Yes, it wasn't a lot at about half-a-cup and I will say the quality wasn't up to last year it was half bad. With the trees starting to get little buds (and the flow about stopping) I pulled the taps for this year. Anyway, it at least kept me in practice.






No comments:

Post a Comment