Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Down The Rabbit Hole At Big Firescald Knob...NOT!


Well, it is Pete again, I need to say that I and the Lummox do not see eye-to-eye very often, but we do agree we both love hiking around Camp Creek Bald. I have carried the Big Lummox up to the summit with the old round fire tower. However, an even better spot is north on the AT (Appalachian Trail) to the ridgeline of Big Firescald Knob where I have also dragged his whining carcass up on a number of occasions and I even reviewed this hike here.



So, to get to hit the AT during Thru-Hiking season got my hiking juices going. Seeing as I had shredded this part of the AT before I got even more excited, because of the snow and knowing that the trail would be icy and sloppy. Well, these are my kind of conditions because as we know I am a hiking machine.




However, for the rest of our party...well let the whining began! I envy those thru-hikers because the only have 30 pounds on their backs while I have 190 on mine. It would be better if it was dead weight, but this 190-pound cries like a two-year-old who lost his rattle (on this day I also had to drag someone else up the mountain). We had to turn around before getting to Big Firescald Knob, because of ice, really, it not like we are hiking up the Matterhorn or something! It was like hiking with the Mulkey Brothers, because it didn't take long until they were tapping out! Well, after that when we get back to Jones Meadow the Big Lummox goes and slips on some ice and gets a boo-boo! That is what he gets for leaving me behind because he can't walk and chew gum at the same time.


Anyway, White Rock and Blackstack Cliffs are cool I didn't get to Big Firescald Knob or hike up to the fire tower, so it felt like a two-mile walk around Laughlin Memorial Hospital. I don't know how I am going to get the Big Lummox across Big Bald or to the Mount Cammerer Lookout besides doing any backpacking because you know he is soft like a Peep!


1 comment: