Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Finally Down The Rabbit Hole In The Smokies


Hey, you couch potatoes, Pete here again, well this is the worst weekend of the year for me...Easter. Well, as much as I hate this holiday it was made bearable as I got to hit the trail and the added bonus of getting to hike in the Smokies. I had to get the Big Lummox off the couch as his knee still has a boo, boo). Between you and me I would leave him behind, but they won't let hiking rabbit's drive, so I have to drag him along...literally!


Anyway, I got him to the GSMNP (The Great Smoky Mountains National Park) in time to meet up with members of the Harvey Broome Group. This is a good group that the Big Lummox seems to like, I guess it is because a lot of them are on his hiking level, which means they are far below my level (Hiking Juggernaut), which is good for him because he can whine to someone else. I guess you heard (here) that the hike was longer than he thought it would be...boo hoo! I was glad because I hadn't got any real distance in since I carried the Lummox over the Virginia Highlands. It was a good thing it was long because the only thing separating this from the Tusculum Trail is it isn't paved (heck the Lummox got blisters on that one...pansy).


I guess the streams, waterfalls, and wildflowers are nice, but I am about kicking up dust on the trail. While the pace heading to Campsite #49 was, let's be honest, pretty much at a snail's pace, but coming back was more my style as our Hike Leader (a real one!) double timed it. But, did I get to fully enjoy it, NO, I was stuck in the back with a bunch of tortoises and we know I am all hare! If you cut through the crying and once again carrying the Big Lummox across the finish line it was a good day for the Hiking Machine! Well, at least the Big Lummox wasn't the one who hurt himself this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment