Saturday, April 8, 2017

Laurel Run Park From The Rabbit Hole


Yeah, it is I Pete and I am again giving a quick review of the latest hike in which I carried the Big Lummox around. On Wednesday we went to Laurel Run Park in Hawkins County. I had been here twice before and the trails here are easy to a hiking machine like myself. Today, we took the Canebrake Overlook Loop Trail which was good because it had a little uphill. The Big Lummox was excited about the wildflowers...me not so much as they remind me of Easter. The overlook was not bad, but I couldn't wait to get back on the trail.


I wanted to take the spur up to the top of Canebrake Mountain, but the Big Lummox whined it looks abandoned...wuss! Anyway, once back on the Laurel Run Trail, we had to ford a creek. I don't know how the Wood Booger got his feet wet as I carried him across. Because of the increased water flow Laurel Run Falls was nice, but now we get to the good part off trail hiking. I love going off-trail, but the Big Lummox not so much. I remember having to show those people in the Harvey Broome Group how it was done back in March. However, I digress, I proceeded to haul the Big Lummox over a creek, dead falls and under rhododendrons to our destination the base of Upper Kiner Hollow Falls. I will say it was a pretty good waterfall, and it was sure better down here than above. Unlike Grotto Falls which I think the Wood Booger compared it to there were NO KIDS, which means it was light years better! The hike out was downhill, which means I could have sleepwalked it. Overall I have to say that this park doesn't make a hiker on my level break a sweat, but Laurel Run Park is still Pete Approved!


No comments:

Post a Comment