Friday, April 7, 2017

Off-Trail Waterfall Hiking & Wildflowers At Laurel Run Park


I really didn't know what type of blog this would be because I was going to Laurel Run Park and I had written about the trails here before (here & here).
However, I did end up covering plenty of new ground so this will be a hybrid...part regular blog and PhotoBlog. I will describe the new ground I covered and sprinkle in plenty of photos, so here we go.
I started as always at the parking lot next to the restrooms before hiking to the trailhead (I like the extra distance I get).

At the park...

...to the trailhead...

...& across the bridge.

The old log buildings.

Today (Wednesday) I decided to do what is now called the Canebrake Mountain Overlook Trail. I had done it before up to the bench and overlook, but it now has a sign pointing the way. I will say the view has been cleared as some of the branches have been moved, but it is still a better view after the leaves drop spot. However, the most work done has been to create a loop trail across Canebrake Mountain. There is supposed to be a side trail to the summit, but from what I could tell it was grown over.

I decided to take the Overlook Trail...

...Canebreak Mountain.

The trail is greening up.

The Canebreak Overlook has been cleared some...

...& the vista is better.

Cool old barn.

Headed up the other half of the loop trail...

...which has been cleared.

The spur trail looks abandoned.

Headed down...

...back to the Laurel Run Trail.

Anyway, the trail reconnects with the Laurel Run Trail and adding about a mile to the hike. So it was on to Laurel Run Falls, but first, there is a creek to ford. I said back in December that someone had added rocks here so it was easier to cross. Well, that was winter and the water level at Laurel Run Creek being lower, but on Wednesday it wasn't the case and I had worn my old boots (which are no longer waterproof) and let just say my feet got wet.

The creek crossing in December.

...with higher water level (got my feet wet).

A lot of beautiful spots in the park.

Because of the higher water level, I knew that meant that the water flow at Laurel Run Falls would be excellent and it was, better than my previous visits. Because my feet got wet I decided to do something I have wanted to do and hike to the base of Upper Kiner Hollow Falls.

Google styled this photo, which is pretty cool.


Another view of the nice water flow of Laurel Run Falls.


Next stop: the base of Upper Kiner Hollow Falls.

The "trail" for this starts past what I have called Lower Kiner Falls (which I am now going to refer to has Little Laurel Run Falls) right as the Laurel Run Trail heads up. First, you ford Kiner Hollow Creek and then navigate a deadfall. From here the trail is not too hard to follow, you will have to squeeze past rhododendrons and there is a spot where the trail splits. One goes high the other low before coming back together. One of the big surprises or should I say two is a pair of waterfalls I didn't know we're there. They were a pair of nice waterfalls, but I don't know if they have a name but since there on Kiner Hollow Creek I will refer to them as Lower and Middle Kiner Hollow Falls.

This is now Little Laurel Run Falls.


Just past here is where one finds...

...the creek crossing for the "unofficial trail."

Got to cross this deadfall.

The first "hidden" waterfall I am calling Lower Kiner Hollow Falls...


...the second, Middle Kiner Hollow Falls.


Trail heads through rhododendrons.

After climbing past another downed tree Upper Kiner Hollow Waterfall comes into view. This 20-foot plunging waterfall is reminiscent of Grotto Falls, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and it is just as impressive. Also, like Grotto, you can walk behind Upper Kiner, but the other difference you won't have to share it with others (I mean a lot of other people) like the one in the Smokies. It also reminds me of Raven Cliff Falls in Georgia with one main waterfall and a number of hidden ones that requires effort to enjoy. Unlike there these hidden falls are just as nice as the main Laurel Run Falls.

Upper Kiner Hollow Falls.


Grotto Falls in the Smokies...

...the far less crowded one.


Looking up at it...


...then behind it.

The final thing of this hike I need to mention is wildflowers. Wow... I expected to see some, but nothing like this I would say over 20 different kinds (here on this blog I will feature a number of them). I will say that this was by far the most wildflowers I have ever seen on any hike I have ever done. Let me just add the Spring Wildflower blog wrote itself.

Bent (Wakerobin) Trillium...

...Yellow Trout Lily...

...Spring Beauty...

...Rue Anemone...

...Woodland Phlox...

...Squirrel Corn.

Like my previous hikes here I found some new things to do and it is not far from the house. I might have found my replacement for Sawnee Mountain Preserve.

Headed back...

...across the creek (again)...

...nice stretch.

Old building.

Canebrake Mountain...

...& the Overlook.

The walking trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment