Tuesday, October 13, 2015

On The Way To Get Daisy I Took A Detour To The Devil's Bathtub

When we went to Emerald Isle last week (see these blogs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) Dad and Terry took Daisy to Broadwater Veterinary Hospital so they could look after her. Since Deb and I had to come back Saturday, Daisy only had to stay little over a week (Dad and Terry are staying the month), so today was the day to go get her. But first, I decided to head over to Fort Blackmore and hike out to the Devil's Bathtub. This isn't my first trip here, I came here back in the early 1980's and my second trip was a quarter century ago. Let me say a lot has changed. Back when I hiked it there were no signs pointing the way, you just had to know where you are going. Today there are signs and yellow blazes showing which way to go. Also back then only locals knew about it, but with the media attention that it has garnered lately it has become quite popular. It is said on weekends that cars are parked down to the road, but today I found the trailhead empty. While there has been a lot of work done on the trail it is still pretty rugged. Oh and if you don't like creek crossings this is definitely not trail for you because from my account there is at least 12 of them. I will say that I don't really know if I remember this many for my previous two visits. Johnny Molloy is right in his guidebook, this is not a winter trail. Anyway it is a two mile hike up a rocky trail when you will reach a sign that will tell you arrived at the Devil's Bathtub. But to get down to it you must climb down a somewhat, steep, worn trail to "the Tub." It is a 10-foot-by-3-foot cut out of rock, it is also something like 20 feet deep. It got its name because it has the coldest water in Southwest Virginia and it's so cold that it has been said the Devil uses it to cool himself off. Oh, I finally did pass some people on the way back, first a man with his son and a couple, both had dogs. After making the trip I understand why now that they have to rescue people here from time-to-time on this trail because I know a lot of people are not prepared for how rugged it is. Anyway once back at the car I drove back to Gate City to Broadwater Veterinary Hospital to get Daisy. Let me say she was happy to see me because she pulled me through the door trying to get to the car. Let me just say that it was an excellent hike and Daisy is at home on her bed so it was a win-win all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment