Thursday, October 29, 2015

October Roads In Hawkins County



As October draws to a close I decided to take a drive through part of Hawkins County. The first part of the drive I don't think I had ever taken and the other half I was very familiar with. The opening half of the drive was on Tennessee Highway 66 headed toward Sneedville. After all these years I had never driven this part of 66. While curvy it had some beautiful scenery and leaf color. I then turned onto TN 94 or better known as Clinch Valley Road. I had been on this road before having visited the Camelot Golf Course and past the site of Pressmen's Home. This was once home to the International Pressmen and Assistants Union of America, but they left the area in the 1960's (see this story for more information). The golf course was built later, and while it looked like it was still being maintained, it didn't look open. As for Pressmen's Home, it has seen better days and it is said to be haunted. Might be a good Halloween destination. Anyway, Clinch Valley Road eventually runs into TN 70. This is the road that goes north up Clinch Mountain, where my Grandfather (my Mom's Dad) use to live. Then when I worked at the Rogersville Review I use to take the road over the mountain to Clinch School, so I am very familiar with this stretch of highway. I drove all the way up the mountain and turned around at the road up to the old fire tower. I then came back south on 70 to Rogersville, but first I made a quick stop to get a picture of Hawkins County's most famous mountain, the Devil's Nose (future hike). I then drove though Rogersville and ran the errands I need to run. Overall, it was a nice drive with beautiful fall colors.






























No comments:

Post a Comment