Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Beautiful Day, Fall Foliage & Rich Mountain Fire Tower...A Good Day

Today I continued the Fall Outdoor Series as I hiked the Appalachian Trail (AT) up to the Rich Mountain Fire Tower. This was the hike I was going to do last Thursday, but events had me change plans. But today was problem free and I made it to the trailhead at Tanyard Gap. This wasn't my first trip here Glen and I hiked this Thanksgiving Weekend 2013 (& the subject of my first AT Day Hikes). Back then there was snow on the ground, but today it was autumn colors. The hike is a straight over five-mile out-and-back. Going up you go north on the AT. It is mostly uphill with almost 1,400 feet of elevation gain so it is a nice hike. What made it even better was the near peak colors on the trail, it was nice. I have had it good when I have hiked here, first snow and the second autumn leaves. One thing both hikes shared was when I reached the top wonderful views with blue skies awaited. Unlike a lot of fire towers Rich Mountain is open to the public and it has 360 views. What was cool today was that I had the tower to myself. With this hike and my previous two (here & here) it is evident that the vistas are losing their summer haze. After enjoying the views from the fire tower and some lunch it was back down the mountain on the AT. The trip back was mostly downhill and there was a good amount of color. When I got back to Tanyard Gap I had to cross the bridge and check out the sign for the gap. So, after a short stop, at Allen Gap, it was back home and I finished the day with a fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment