Thursday, October 1, 2015

Paw Paw Hunting Hike & Apple Picking In Southwest Virginia

The weather has been crappy, which means I haven't been getting out as much as I would like. However, on the last day of September Dad and I headed over to the Cabin in Southwest Virginia. We had to take the new gutters for the Cabin. We will put the on at a later date, so I first spent my time picking apples. As I said before there is a tree here loaded with some good apples. After picking a bucket full of apples I decided to hike up the ridge and look for Paw Paws. This is a green mountain fruit that is like a papaya. While on the lookout for them I came along some deer. When I see deer it is usually a doe (female deer) but this time it was a buck (male deer). It was between a six to eight pointer. I then spotted another, which at first I thought was a doe, but it too was a buck. All-in-all there were four and I got to within 50 feet, before they noticed me, it was cool. I then looked for Paw Paws and I found seven. Overall I hiked about three miles...not bad. After enjoying the morning on the porch I decided to go looking for more Paw Paws, but stuck out. I then proceed up what I call Bear Hollow looking for pears. I hiked up about mile there and back and found plenty. When I got back Dad said it was time to go, so we loaded the truck and headed to Tennessee. Before going back we stopped for some fried chicken at the Lynn Garden Restaurant (more to come). Well that is all from my two-day trip to the home of the Wood Booger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment