Friday, May 8, 2015

Finishing An AT Section Or Another Way To Blood Mountain


There are hikes you sometimes feel compelled to do and that is the way I have felt about the section of Appalachian Trail (AT) from Woody Gap to Neel Gap. Well, on Sunday I finally did this over 11 mile stretch of the AT. Now, most of this section I am familiar with. I had hiked about 1.5 miles one-way from Woody Gap up to Big Cedar Mountain. The back half of this hike I had done even more of, about five miles in fact from Jarrard Gap to Neel Gap. The reason that I have hiked different parts of this stretch is that the AT here goes over my favorite spot in Georgia, Blood Mountain. In fact, I had hiked to its summit on five other occasions. Because of this, I will just touch on the parts of this section that I have blogged about before. I am going to split this blog into segments while I will write less about some parts there will be pictures for all.

April 2013: My first hike at Woody Gap

April 2013: First time at Blood Mountain.

February 2014: While not my first visit, it was my first hike into Neel Gap

Anyway, since the mileage on this is beyond Deb’s five-mile limit, I had thought of different scenarios on how I would do this. For those who don’t this is a shuttle hike. Unless you are one of those beast-mode trail runners, to do this in one day you will need some kind of shuttle from Neel’s back to Woody Gap. I had thought of putting it up as a hike on Hike Georgia. While it is not too far back from Neel’s to Woody about 30 minutes (16 miles) I have also seen this done as a key switch (where you split the group and hand-off the keys halfway or about). Deb volunteered to come and get me and shuttle me back and this was the plan for this past Saturday.
However, I am a member of a group on Facebook called North Georgia Hiking / Backpacking Club. The guy who runs, Gregg Erwin, put up on the page did anyone want to do this section Sunday. So after messaging with him, I decided to change my day and go with Greg. By Saturday night it looked like we would have three others going out. But, as these hikes go two people canceled last minute and one didn’t show.
 
I had to stop to check my phone...

...but I got to see some of where I would hike...nice!

Because of this (Gregg who was meeting the person who didn't show at the parking and ride in Dahlonega), I got to Woody Gap before he did. It allowed me to first stop at the Chestatee Overlook and then hike a little way down south on the AT to look for wildflowers. It was a beautiful morning at Woody Gap and while busy, the parking lots were pretty full, but the vibe was different. It is obvious that the peak of the thru-hiking season here had passed.
 
Woody Booger shadow.

The Woody Gap vista.

I hike a little ways down the AT & found...

...Robin's Plantain...

...Sweet Betsy...

...& Dwarf Cinquefoil.

Busy even early Sunday morning...Heathens!


When Greg finally arrived we set out on the trail. We went about two-tenths of a mile and Gregg realized that he had left his phone in the parking area. So, as he ran back to Woody Gap and fortunately he found it there. Still, he ran, both ways, so he was feeling it as we headed up Big Cedar Mountain past the first two outcrops and up to Preaching Rock.
We took a break here for Gregg to catch his breath and what better place could you stop. As I have said before it has a wonderful view, one of the best on the AT in Georgia. After about a 15-minute stop it was on to the second great view, the Big Cedar Mountain Vista. The funny thing here was at the junction to the short path out to the vista someone had tried to cover the start of the trail. One, I know where it is and two it is blue-blazed. I guess someone thinks that too many people are learning about it, but it didn’t do much good as a couple and their dog camped here the night before. After enjoying the view we headed back to the AT and north. It was no time before we reached the h-Tree or as Andy, the person who showed it to me called it the Captain Morgan Tree. As I have said before this is where I always turned around in the past, but that was not the case today.

Headed into the Blood Mtn. Wilderness.

The Starting Line.

This is about where Greg forgot his phone.

Lunsford Gap.

The Evil Dead Tree.

1st outcrop...

...2nd outcrop...

...Preaching Rock.

At Preaching Rock.

Headed on up the AT...

...& Big Cedar Mountain.

It looks like someone was trying to hide the trail...

...with this view, I see why.

He was enjoying himself

The h-Tree & where I usually turned back...but not today!


So this is the part of the section that I haven’t done. From the h-Tree to Jarrard Gap is close to four and a half miles. The trail moves down into Augerhole Gap passing a large rock. It is then downhill passing a small waterfall Dan The gap before the AT heads back up to Granny Top. At 3,505 it is just over a 300 foot climb up, but it is steeper than either of the topographical views of the mountains one finds in Dave “AWOL” Miller’s guide or the official one. It might be that it doesn’t switch back much here.
Once on Granny Top it the trail heads back down to Miller Gap. It is here that one finds the junction with the Dockery Lake Trail. This blue-blazed trail goes 3.5 miles down to Dockery Lake Recreation Area. The trail which has a hidden 200-foot waterfall at Pigeon Roast Creek leads to a lake with camping, bathrooms and day-use parking.
From here the AT continues down until you reach Lance Creek. This is a popular camping area because it is the last spot with good water before the bear canister regulation kicks in at Jarrard Gap. For those who don’t know from March 1 to June 1, all hikers camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap (and this includes Blood Mountain) must use a bear canister. Since most thru-hikers don’t want to carry one they camp here. However, since it has become so popular there have been consequences. The U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (GATC) is working on stream restoration in the area. That is why you will find a sign and ropes just before the small footbridge.
The trail goes uphill for a bit before leveling out at Henry Gap where it skirts a ridge before turning. It then climbs up to a flat summit area called Burnett Field Mountain (3,478 feet). This is a beautiful area that leads finally leads down half-mile to Jarrard Gap.

Headed down to Augerhole Gap...

...& this green trail.

...on down the AT to...

...Dan Gap & this small waterfall.

We are headed up too...

Granny Top.

Granny Top white blaze.

This old guy was headed up Granny Top...

Gregg was like "did you see that guys pack?"

Headed down to Miller Gap...

...& the junction with...

...the Dockery Lake Trail...

...we kept following the white blaze.

The rope crossing at Lance Creek...

...& the reason why.

This is why Lance Creek is so popular with thru-hikers.

Headed up from Miller Gap & Lance Creek.

It is about here...

...that the AT heads up...

...turns past this rock...

...to Burnett Field Mountain & then down too...

...Jarrard Gap.


On arriving at Jarrard Gap I had officially completed this section as I hiked up to here this past October from Lake Winfield Scott Recreation Area as part of the Slaughter Creek Loop Hike I did. While mileage-wise Jarrard Gap is slightly over half it is the unofficial midway point of the hike and where we stopped for lunch. I should mention while the whole of the AT had wildflowers starting around Miller Gap to about here it was the most specimens I had ever seen. There were early spring favorites like Spearleaf and White Violets, Star Chickweed, Robin’s Plantain, Dwarf Crested Iris, Flaming Azaleas and some left over Sweet Betsy’s (Toadshade Trillium). Then there were some new wildflowers like Bluets, May-apple and Large-Flowered Trillium, including young white blooms and aging pink/purple ones.
As I have written before this part of the AT skirts Gaddis and Turkey Stamp Mountains. It is around here that one gets the first look at the highlight of most hikes in this area, Blood Mountain. It wasn’t long before we reached the trail to Woods Hole Shelter. One of these days I am going to hike the half-mile (one way) to this shelter. Oh, this also signals that you have reached Bird Gap.

Reaching here marked completing this section...

...here I was in October 2014...

...& back Sunday.

This month rested on my pack as I ate lunch.

Headed up the AT from Jarrard Gap.

I missed this tree the last time.

Since it is spring I spotted Spearleaf Violet...


...White Violet...

...Star Chickweed...

...Robin's Plantain...

...Dwarf Crested Iris...

...Flaming Azalea...

...Sweet Betsy's...

...Wild Geranium...

...Bluets...

...May-apple...

White Large-Flowered Trillium...

...& an aging purple one.

...Wild Strawberry...

On the greening AT.

Gregg was a good hiking partner.

Our final climb awaits...Blood Mountain.

REI hiking group at Bird Gap.


Bird Gap is a spot that I have hiked many times. Once was that hike last October then three other times as part of the Blood Mountain Loop. The Freeman Trail, which connects to the AT here, can be used as part of this loop hike. I have hiked this loop both ways coming south in December and heading north from Bird Gap on the AT the first time (October 2013) I did the loop and the most recent (March 21), so, I very familiar with this part of the AT.
While I have hiked this part a number of times it was slightly tougher this time. It might have been the seven miles I had already hiked to get to this point. Anyway, it was at the junction with the Slaughter Creek Trail that we first met a section hiker, who we might have given a trail name of "Gatorade" (because he was carrying a Gatorade bottle for water). One of the cool things was he was from Virginia Beach, where I spent a lot of my formative years. He was hiking to Virginia on the AT. Oh, and about trail names they are part of the fabric of the AT; mine should be easy it is the name of this blog, Wood Booger. I need to think one up for Gregg.  It wouldn’t be long before we entered the shrub trees and rhododendron which signals the approach to the main event of the hike Blood Mountain.

The south end of the Freeman Trail at Bird Gap.

"Where we met "Gatorade"...

...at the Slaughter Creek Trail junction.

Headed up...

...& past the junction with the Duncan Ridge Trail.

The AT heads up Blood Mountain.

You are about at the summit when you see this tree...

...& you have arrived when you see the stone shelter.


There are not too many more ways to express my love for Blood Mountain. Even after many trips I never tire of the beauty from the summit. While this was my sixth trip up it was Gregg’s first, but I don’t think it will be his last. Like I said it was obvious that thru-hiking season had passed, while busy it was what you would normally find here on a nice weekend, unlike back in March when it was really crowded.
One of the cool things was spotting Black and Big Cedar Mountains and seeing how far we had hiked. It looks impressive when you are on top of Blood Mountain. That was a nice moment.

Thru-hiking season may be over, but there are always crowds at the CCC Shelter.

Brasstown Bald.

The view from Picnic Rock...

...me too.

Picnic Rock from another outcrop to the right...


...with this view.

Another look at the CCC Shelter.

The first northbound rock white blaze.


The geological marker.

Hazy view of Rocky & Tray Mountains.

Some people who were illegally flying...

...a drone...naughty, naughty! Below is another drone video.


Vista #5.

White Oak blooms.

Headed to Vista #7.

Panorama of Vista #7.

Yonah Mountain.

Cowrock & Wildcat Mountains.

In between Black & Big Cedar Mtns. is where we started, Woody Gap.

Over my head is the starting line...

...& Gregg's too.


I have described the trip down the south face of the mountain and I have also described going up. Like I have said before the south side of the mountain is a rocker and steeper than coming north on the AT from Bird Gap. It is just over a mile down to Flatrock Gap, but it does seem longer especially going up the mountain on the AT.


Headed down Blood Mountain.

On the AT down the mountain.

Another outcrop with a view of Levelland Mountain.

Pyramid Rock.

This section was sloppier the last time I was here.


I love Big AT Rock!

Back at Flatrock Gap.


The final part of this hike was one-mile from Flatrock Gap to Neel Gap. If you day hike this you should already know this, but you have to come up from the Byron Reese Memorial on the seven-tenths mile trail of the same name. This is where the day hiker parking is. However, I had done the hike from Flatrock to Neel Gaps back in February of 2014 as part of my bitter cold and windy hike to Levelland Mountain.  So, I know it is not too bad of a hike down.
The main highlight of the hike to Neel Gap is just little more than a tenth of a mile down as you come to Balance Rock. This formation of boulders looks like one balanced on another it is pretty cool. Right down from it is a huge boulder that looks like a giant whale or turtle, it is your choice. The AT here will wind through Rhododendrons before heading down toward Neel Gap. You know your close because you can hear the traffic on US 19. In winter you can actually see the road.  It was about here where we caught up with “Gatorade” again. Finally, you are there, the first thing you see is the Blood Mountain Wilderness sign and information board. Then there is the section hike Neel Gap sign with the mileage to Woody Gap, which I called the finish line. It was here that Gregg’s friend who was shuttling us back to Woody Gap met us with his dog PJ.

While the Freeman Trail sign is still here...

...the Byron Reese hasn't been replaced.

Headed on the AT too...

...Balance Rock...

...& the Whale Boulder.

The AT...

leaves the Blood Mountain Wilderness.

The Finish Line!

Mountain Crossing at Wal

Section smile...

Gregg was happy too!

The vista from Neel Gap.

Six Times!

After a little time at Mountain Crossing, we headed back to Woody Gap and to get our cars. Anyway, I got to hike a section of the AT I have always wanted to complete, I got to go to Blood Mountain…again and I met some new friends along the way so all-in-all it was excellent day out.

Black Mountain.

PJ at...

Woody Gap & the end of the day!



AT Section Hikes: Woody Gap To Neel Gap

My Take:

For Difficulty – 4 Stars
For Trail Conditions – 4 Stars
For Views – 5 Stars
For Solitude – 3 Stars
Overall – This is the AT section hike in Georgia I have wanted to above all others and it lived up to expectations. Since I had hiked a lot of it I wasn’t surprised by its difficulty. It was tough but at over 11 miles and a lot of elevation gain. This is the AT so the trail through here is great. If the view for Blood Mountain is a five, then adding on Woody, Gap,  Preaching Rock, the Big Cedar Mountain Vista it should be a 10. While Blood Mountain was crowded, the rest of the trail was less so. We passed other hikers, but it was obvious thru-hiking season has passed.

Pete’s Take :

For Difficulty – 3  Rabbits Paws
For Trail Conditions – 4 Rabbits Paws
For Views – 5 Rabbits Paws
For Solitude – 2  Rabbits Paws
Overall – YES! I loved this hike, it was long, it was on the AT and we got to climb Blood Mountain. The AT is always well maintained. Like the Lummox said it was better than a five. I bumped this up a bit because if you take out Blood Mountain we didn’t pass a ton of people. Since we were doing a section all of these were hikers. The crowd at Blood wasn’t as bad as March. This was one of my favorite hikes! Oh, and Greg was pretty cool too.



No comments:

Post a Comment