Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Hike Georgia @ CRNRA Bowmans Island Unit

Today, my Hike Georgia group decided to stay closer to home with a hike near Buford Dam at the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (CRNRA) Bowmans Island Unit. I didn't get much sleep last night as the Blackhawks needed 3OTs to beat the Ducks, so I was moving a little slow this morning. Anyway, the hike is about 6.5 miles as we started from the Lower Overlook (which is free), hike down the Laurel Ridge Trail, where there was a new metal stairs down, then down and take a right and cross the pier/footbridge and on to the metal footbridge just below the spillway. Then we hiked past the boat dock area down to the trailhead for the Bowmans Island Trail. I hiked it back in January but it was like a whole new trail with the foliage looking like summer it was nice! After hiking next to the Chattahoochee River we then turned right and headed up the trail where it passes through a subdivision. Yes, the trail goes right through a neighborhood it is strange. The last part on the island is wooded trail before heading back to where we started. We then headed back, but at the dam I said goodbye to the group. I wanted to see the goats and check out some wildflowers. The highlights were Piedmont Rhododendrons and a lot more Mountain Laurel. I had spotted one bush back in April, but there was a lot more today. When I got back I decided to hike the mile (one-way) to the swing that overlooks the lake. On the way I came upon a family of Canadian Geese they had a little chick with them. Overall I did little over 8.5 miles. Then when I got home I walked another 2.2 miles at Rock Creek Park with Deb, that is a 10+ mile day.

No comments:

Post a Comment