Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Wildflower Mother's Day @ The Preserve

Deb and I decided to get out today, Mother's Day, and she decided on Sawnee Mountain Perserve. While it was a far cry from where I was last Sunday (hiking the Appalachian Trail over Blood Mountain) as wildflowers go it was just as good. While I didn't know what type of day it would be, right at the start we found, at the visitors center, White and Purple Azaleas plus that new flower, a Carolina Allspice, I found on the Raven Cliffs Trail. As we headed up the steeper part of the Indian Seats Trail, to my surprise, the Piedmont Rhododendrons that line the path were blooming, it was nice! After enjoying these we made it passed the steep part, I spotted a shrub tree with blooms. At first I thought it was more Rhododendrons, but to my joy it was blooming Mountain Laurel. I must have missed this last year, because it is the best Mountain Laurel bush this side of Amicalola Falls. Anyway, the rest of the way up we spotted old favorites like Fire Pink and Rattlesnake Weed. When we finally got to the Indian Seats it was crowded with families taking their Mom's out for a day hike.  While others took in the sights I headed to the cliffs under the observation deck for the Laurel and Rhododendron and they were awesome. I also enjoyed the view. It look kind of rainy where I hiked last Sunday. So we headed back, and while there wasn't many wildflowers there was a group of Squirrels being Squirrels. Overall it was a beautiful day out. Oh, I will be doing a photo blog in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment