Saturday, May 30, 2015

AT Section Hike Georgia From Springer Mountain To Hightower Gap

As Spring-Thru '15 winds down what better way to celebrate than doing a Appalachian Trail (AT) Section Hike from Springer Mountain to Hightower Gap. This hike is around 10 miles because to get to Springer you have to backtrack a mile from Big Stamp Gap parking area. At the top is the first white blaze and the first George Noble Plaque. My first big hike when I got back into hiking, that was over two years ago and my knees felt better today. Not only did we hike the AT we got to do some of the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT). While the BMT starts just under Springer and cuts across the AT a couple of times just before Three Forks it joins with the AT for just over a mile. Since we were doing a key swap some of our group came from Hightower Gap, but I take it some of those coming south got confused when it merged and they followed the white diamond of the BMT. My highlight of the day that I had shared with the group, it was a hike out to Long Creek Falls. It is a mile to the sign for the short trail to the falls. Before we got to the main falls we took a side trail (decided as a goat trail) another nice one, about a 25 footer. As I say two falls are better than one. After enjoying the beauty of the main 50-foot cascade the AT also left the BMT behind as we headed up Hawk Mountain and once we topped it the trail was all downhill too our destination Hightower Gap. Oh, I want to give shout out to the duo I hiked with most of the day, Connie and Russ (yes I hiked with another guy with the same name). He also drove us up to Springer and back from Hightower, thanks man. All-in-all it was a good day. I need to add that this post is a little late as the Blackhawks just made a pot of Duck soup in the Campbell Conference Bowl! Bring on the Bolts, WE WANT THE CUP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment