Friday, February 12, 2016

If In Unicoi You Will Want To Make A Whistle Stop


I have seen commercials for the Whistle Stop Deli & Catering for a couple of years when I was up this way. So, when I relocated to East Tennessee I put this on the places that I wanted to eat at. So, last week (Tuesday) I finished up an AT Day Hike at Chestoa and I thought this was the time to head to the Whistle Stop. The small deli and bakery is located in Unicoi, TN about halfway between Erwin and Johnson City in the shadow of Pinnacle Mountain.

The town of Unicoi & one of its symbols...

...Pinnacle Mountain Fire Tower.

The Whistle Stop is two buildings. The first is the deli, where you order food, but there is no seating. It is simple in design, but cool. The second building is an enclosed pavilion which looks to have a fire place. Since it was a nice a warm day for February I decided to eat outside in front of the deli.

Deli on the left & enclosed seating on the right.

Inside the counter...

...& one of the displays.

Anyway, I asked what would be the best thing to order and I was told either the Reuben or the Philly Steak and Cheese. Since we were supposed to make Rubens later (at home) I went with the Philly...and it was a good choice.

My meal outside.

While I don't have a lot of Philly Steak and Cheese Sandwiches to compare it with (I haven't had one in Philadelphia) it is one of the better ones that I have ever had. It was messy, but some of the best things are. The other great thing I had was the waffle potatoes, these were...delicious!.

Philly Steak & Cheese

Waffle Fries

Since the Whistle Stop is also a bakery I bought some cinnamon rolls and a blueberry fried pie. While the fried pie was very good it wasn't as good as Jaemor. As for the cinnamon roll, another winner.

Cinnamon Roll & Blueberry Fried Pie

I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment