Saturday, February 20, 2016

From Newfound Gap To Cades Cave & Abrams Falls...That Is A Full Day In The GSMNP


After a week of snow we finally got two days of nice weather, before more rain (& maybe snow) rolls back in. So, Friday I got up and headed to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). Like most days in the park I started at Sugarlands Visitor Center. I promised Deb I wouldn't go hike in the high country (out to Charlies Bunion), but that didn't mean I couldn't drive up to Newfound Gap. There was still about six inches of snow while it was cold, and windy. Add to this one of my water bottles leaked on some of my equipment and not hiking here was a good idea.






Instead, I headed toward Cades Cove and Abrams Falls. It is five mile round-trip to the falls. It is a 25 footer and, with the excellent water-flow, was pretty impressive (IMHO the best in the Smokies...so far). Right before I got back to the trailhead I headed left to the Elijah Oliver Cabin. This detour added another mile-and-a-half to the trip for a total of 6.5. Before leaving Cades Cove I visited the Cable Mill Historical Area & Visitor Center and toured the old buildings. My final three stops of the day was a first time pull-off at West Prong Falls and then backtracking to Megis Falls and the Sinks, now that is a full day.














No comments:

Post a Comment